Chapter 24

Finally pulling up in an abandoned car park, Katie's quick to swoop round to my side of the car and pull the door open, hitting her knee in the process.
"FUCK." She yells, with only an echo in response.
From my seat, I can't help but laugh at her, crawling up and rubbing where she whacked it.
"You good?"
"Yep. Nope. Ouch. Help." She jumps up into my arms for me to catch her. Clinging to my neck, she nudges her head into the dip and gives it a quick kiss.
"Katie- your. Ouch- heavy."
"Get used to it, baby." She teases, scrunching her nose up sarcastically.
"Baby?" I blush, covering my face in her hair.
"Why would you rather me call you Y/f/n?"

"Fuck you."

"That's your job."

"KATIE!"

"IM JOKING.. for now."

She rolls out of my arms and grabs my hand, running me into a long field of grass. I splutter in laughter as she lets go of my hand and spreads her arms wide like a bird and begins to scream. She looks at me, grinning, and I run after her, screaming as loud as I can.

Scream after screaming after screaming as we run further and further into the flower field, dandelions and Daisy's, and buttercups tickling out ankles. Breathless, we fall into each others arms, just clinging to each other as we get over yet another wave of giggles. "Y/n.. I like you so so much. I just.. I want to apologise for all of the shit I caused you for those years." She splutters, hand clamped firmly around my bicep.
"Shut up Katie this is perfect. You're perfect. I didn't even know I needed this."

In one swift action, she yanked my arm onto the floor, me on top of her chest as she stroked through my hair. Our breathing calms down, and we lay silently, her pressing kisses into my head and me just humming some other random tune in my head. I pluck one of the dandelions from the ground and blow on the seeds, mesmerised as they dance prettily away in the sun.
"She loves me.." I begin, taking another deep breath.
"She loves me not." I blow again, trying to get the last couple.
"She loves me.." I sigh as a couple more stay stuck.
"She loves me not."
Much to my surprise, one last seed clings onto the stem. Taking my chance, i blow before it has the chance to fly away. "She loves me."
I feel her smile into my head, continuing to twirl a couple of the free strands around her finger.

"How did you find this place, Katie?"

"There's been countless times I had to find somewhere to yell into."

I giggle, wrapping myself tightly around her. "Yeah? Like when?"

"When I played you, mostly." She breathes deeply. "I was never quite sure why I was so hung up on it after playing you. I would run from the match, come here, stand right in the centre, and scream like my life depended on it.." she knocks me off her shoulder, standing up and pulling me with her. "I want to show you something.." she mutters, walking towards a specific spot in the field. "You wanna know how many times I've been here? How many times have you had me wrapped around your pinky finger.."
She begins to slow her walking, now stood in a clearing within the centre of the field.

Surrounding the cut-out circle is a rim of football boots. Just one of each kind, each one almost brand new.
"Every time I came here, after a match against you. I placed just one of my boots on the outside of the circles. I started to run out of space." She snorts, gesturing to the loop into a second circle.

I didn't actually hear this. My brain was more occupied with counting the boots.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16..
17...
18..
I round off, smirking slightly to myself. I turn around to face her again, only to see her on one knee, holding a flower crown and a small ring.
"I thought you said this wasn't a proposal!" I laugh, shocked.

"And this isn't..  it's a promise ring." She almost whispers, slipping a perfect silver ring onto my (ring) finger. "It's a promise that I'll do anything to make sure we work because I think I've waited long enough for you. You deserve the world, y/n, and I want to be the one to give it to you. Day and night, I want to be by your side and make sure you know your- why are you laughing?"

"I'm sorry. It's just.. it's just..  your accent, while saying these things it just.. cracks me up." I burst out, grabbing her hand and kissing it as an apology.

"What a nutcase we are." She joins in.

Who says a date has to be in a fancy restaurant eating spaghetti.

I would much rather it be in a field with my rival, doing nothing but screaming and laughing and acting like little kids.

All I know so far is that falling in love is easy, and keeping that love going should be even easier, as long as said love is real.

My love for Katie is real, and I want it to last.

As long as we continue to be ourselves, and only then, can this work in the symphony we have now.

(And there we have it, people, the end of your story. There will continue to be more updates of just cute oneshots, but they won't continue like a story, so there's no pressure on me to upload. I hope you enjoyed this story because I enjoyed writing it. I am constantly in debt to the amount of love and support this book has got, even if it is complete trash. Love always, your author, Izzy.<3)