Chapter 9- The Dance of Rivalry

It has been three weeks since we announced our engagement, and the duration feels unusual, reflecting the unique dynamics between Noah and me. As we gradually accept the reality of our situation, we find ourselves engaged in a rivalry, each fiercely protecting our individuality and independence within this forced union.

Our interactions are filled with subtle competitions and hidden jabs, constantly testing the boundaries of our relationship. We engage in intellectual debates as a battleground, challenging each other's perspectives and opinions. Noah's quick wit and sharp tongue keep me on edge, while I meet his verbal sparring with unwavering determination.

In public, we maintain a façade of being a polite couple, but behind closed doors, an underlying tension seeps into every interaction. Fiery arguments have become the defining feature of our private moments, fueled by our shared stubbornness and clash of personalities.

The simmering tension erupts into a full-blown argument. In the study, our voices collide, and the air becomes thick with hostility. 

"You think you're all that, Noah," I snap, my voice a mix of anger and exasperation. "But don't underestimate me. I refuse to be overshadowed by your charm and charisma."

A sardonic smile plays on Noah's lips as he retorts, dripping with sarcasm, "Oh, I would never dare to overshadow you, love. After all, your intelligence and wit are unparalleled, aren't they?" 

"Why does anything I say never get through your thick fucking skull, Noah! Your constant need to belittle me and undermine my every thought is unbearable!"

"And what about you? Always playing the victim, acting like your intelligence is superior to everyone else's. Well, newsflash, love, it's not. Your arrogance blinds you to your own flaws." Noah was raising his voice "You know what annoys me the most about you! You never put any effort into anything you do!"

"You never change do you! Always so stubborn and always thinking you're right!"

A bitter laugh escaped from his lips.

"Me?! You are nothing but a lazy piece of shit, who will never amount to anything!" His words cut through the air like a knife, leaving a trail of hurt and self-doubt in their wake. He took a step towards me, his eyes filled with a darkness I had never witnessed before. A pang of pain pierced my heart, acknowledging the truth in his cruel assessment.

"Get out," I uttered, my voice devoid of any emotion, my heart consumed by an overwhelming emptiness.

"You just can't bring yourself to accept that I'm right, can you, love?" he sneered, his tone dripping with condescension.

"I said get out!" My anger seethed beneath the surface, fueling my demand.

"Gladly," Noah replied coldly, pausing in the doorway. "But this conversation isn't over, love."

With a resounding slam, he closed the doors, severing the little connection between us.

---

The room fell into a heavy silence, drowning in the aftermath of our devastating exchange. My emotions swirled chaotically within me—pain, anger, and disbelief blending together into a turbulent storm.

"I hate this," I whispered, my voice laced with frustration. My eyes welled up with tears, mirroring the overwhelming turmoil inside. "I hate that he's right... I hate it."

The weight of his words bore down on me, crushing my spirit and leaving me feeling vulnerable and defeated. The realization that there might be some truth in his harsh accusations was unbearable. I wanted to release my pent-up emotions, to let the tears flow and find solace in their cathartic release. But as I tried to cry, I discovered that even my tears seemed to have abandoned me.

A profound sense of numbness enveloped me, amplifying the intensity of my pain. The unshed tears felt like a dam holding back a torrent of emotions, locked away and unable to find release. It seemed as though I had reached a point of emotional exhaustion, where even the wellspring of tears had run dry.

"Pull yourself together, Alaya," I murmured, my voice fractured and barely audible. With a deep breath, I swallowed down the overwhelming emotions that threatened to consume me. It was a desperate attempt to regain control, to shield myself from the vulnerability that had left me shattered.

Standing up, I felt the weight of my inner turmoil pressing against me. It took every ounce of strength to push back the flood of emotions that begged to be unleashed. I knew that succumbing to them in that moment would only prolong my pain and hurt my pride even more.

Taking a deep breath, I made a deliberate choice to let my heart return to its cold state. It was a self-protective measure, a way to shield myself from further pain and vulnerability. I allowed the numbness to settle within, creating a barrier that would guard me against the turmoil that threatened to consume me.

---

"I see you've finally calmed down," Noah remarked, his voice tinged with a hint of amusement. He leaned against the wall, a relaxed smile gracing his face. "Shall we finish our conversion?"

"Yes," I replied, my response devoid of any emotion. The emptiness within me echoed in my words. Noah seemed momentarily taken aback by my detached demeanor, but he quickly composed himself.

A flicker of unease danced across his features, a hint that he might have expected a different reaction from me. However, he masked it well, concealing his surprise behind a composed façade. Perhaps he had anticipated a more heated response, a continuation of our intense exchange.

"Listen love-"

"For the 258th time please don't call me that"

Odd number

"Its actually the 259th time"

Still an odd number

"-just play the part of the good fiancée. By that I mean, don't commit heinous, spend all my money, collect dust and be more of an annoyance than you already are "

"That's all you wanted to say? You didn't have to barge into my study acting all cocky"

---

A few moments before

The door slammed open as Noah walked through.

"Love-"

"Alaya" I corrected 

"Love," he acknowledged, a touch of annoyance evident in his tone. "Being betrothed, with me, which I do say so myself, comes with great responsibility, Alaya Williams."

"-More like an overwhelming burden, and I'm not a Williams" I muttered under my breath.

"Not yet but will you please refrain from interrupting me?" he continued, dismissing my comment. "Just sit there and look pretty. That's all you need to do."

---

"fine."

"Fine?" A look a surprise came across his face.

"yes, that's fine"