Chapter 0.5- Shadowed Intentions

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

-Steve Martin

~:~

Unknown POV

"You're late," The impatience evident in my tone

"Yes, I am aware of that fact. I ran into some... trouble," he responded, his voice tinged with a hint of uncertainty.

"Did you give them their targets?" I asked sharply, my voice echoing through the sleek, dimly lit room.

"Yes, but you do realize that—" My assistant began, attempting to explain.

"Of course I do," I interjected, cutting off any further explanation, my demeanor exuding an air of quiet confidence.

"Why did you do it?" His frustration erupted into an urgent question, filled with an edge of desperation.

"To see which of our top two assassins is better" I replied calmly, my eyes fixed on the disorganized files spread across the desk before me.

"You mean Briar and Thorn? They'll kill each other!" He mentioned the names with a mix of disbelief and resignation.

"That's exactly the point. I can't wait to see the turnout. It will be quite..." I paused, a subtle chuckle escaping my lips, "entertaining," I added, a faint trace of amusement coloring my words as I glanced up, meeting his gaze with a cryptic smile, concealed beneath the black mask that adorned my face.

As the conversation unfolded, the masked man sighed deeply, his exasperation apparent in his demeanor. He glanced around the mahogany room, his gaze locking onto the files scattered across the desk. His fingers traced the edge of one particular file labeled "Thorn" with a sense of familiarity.

"I can't believe you sometimes," he sighed in frustration, clearly confused by my methods. "We'll lose our top two assassins"

"Must you worry so much? They're replaceable. Who do you think I am?"

"A monster" He muttered

"Ah I'm offended, I am no monster, but I am close"

~:~

I love you guys so much and I'm so proud of you.

You are beautifully perfect and don't let anyone make you think otherwise