Chapter 2 - The Catcher in the Rye

The sorting was Regulus' least favorite part.

Having to wait all that time for the stupid hat to pick a house for each first year- it was torture.

Regulus had already sat through 4 them- including his own- and already was over it.

He wasn't thrilled to be back at the school, but he was glad to be out of his mother's grasp- for the time being.

Regulus was starting his fifth year and he didn't have much to show for it.

He had a total of maybe three friends- whenever the pair deemed Regulus was cool enough to talk to.

Regulus had no stories to tell. No experiences under his belt- unless reading every book in the library counted.

He might have once minded the aloneness, but now he relished in it.

Evan and Barty had been a part of Mulcibers gang for the past year- going to parties, sneaking out.

Regulus was invisible to the older boys and in result to his only 'friends'.

He didn't care.

Regulus would never be friends with Muliciber. He wasn't cool- just mean.

The group gave the Slytherins a bad name, but by then they were already stuffed into a stereotype that none could break free from.

Regulus almost fell asleep, but woke to the cheering and clapping that signaled the end of the sorting.

Once the food appeared Regulus was much more awake.

The feast was everything Regulus had been dreaming of.

Roasts the size of his arm were served on silver platters with floral designs.

The pumpkin juice was extra tangy that night and the potatoes were super buttery and soft.

He stuffed his plate to the brim, although he knew his eyes were much bigger than his stomach.

Regulus attempted to listen as Barty and Evan talked about their summers, but failed horribly.

He was too entirely consumed by the food.

Regulus had missed far too many meals the past few months- whenever he was... incapacitated.

To think he almost skipped out on this.

"-Regulus?"

Regulus looked up at Evan and Barty who both look at him with raised eyebrows.

His lips were outlined in the warm butter and coated in crumbs of the roll he scarfed down.

"That bad?" Evan asked.

The mood seemed to dim and Regulus internally smacked himself for not having more control.

Of course his home life wasn't a secret he could keep from his roommates, after being caught with one too many bruises over the past few months.

Regulus swallowed and wiped his face with the closest napkin.

"You know how it is." Regulus muttered, averting their gazes in favor of sipping his bright orange juice.

"We really don't- since you never talk about it." Barty huffed, scraping his fork against his plate.

The sound made Regulus cringe.

"Not much to talk about", Regulus jeered as he set his cup down, "My mother likes power and my brother took that from her. She is-"

"-A fucking psycho." Evan finished.

Regulus let out a weak chuckle.

"Is she really that bad?" Barty quizzed.