Chapter 3 - Bean Bags

If running into- and being formally introduced- to James Potter was bad enough, Regulus had been seeing a lot of James.

And by a lot he meant way too much to be a coincidence.

James seemed to start appearing from thin air, always ready to start up a conversation with the youngest Black.

Regulus wondered if James knew what he was doing- fraternizing with the enemy.

It was peculiar that in five years Regulus had managed to barely catch glimpses of the boy and now James was practically at every corner.

"Hullo, Regulus." James greeted as he joined Regulus in walking down the hall.

Regulus fought the urge to speed up and outrun him.

"Potter." Regulus returned, begrudgingly.

"I've heard you're looking for a Transfiguration tutor", James started, "Surely if anyone were to help you, it might as well be the best."

Regulus highly doubted his struggle in transfiguration was common gossip grounds, but confronting him was more work than going with his story.

"You're offering to tutor me?" Regulus quizzed, suspicious of whatever scheme James Potter had up with sleeve.

Regulus should've run.

Where James was, trouble was to follow.

James only smiled such a convincing smile.

"Don't act so surprised." He merely joked.

Regulus stopped to turn to look at the boy, squinting his eyes, "What do you get out of it?"

It was a genuine question, although Regulus would admit he slightly feared the answer.

"Is the chance at cracking the mystery that is Regulus Black not enough for me to offer my services?" James questioned with a smirk.

"No." Regulus muttered.

The slight pink on his face might have given him away- had the weather not been so brisk.

Regulus couldn't deal with James and his ridiculous smile and crazy hair and stupid perfect teeth.

So he walked a little faster in hopes of losing the boy, but James chased after him.

"Alright, alright. How about you tutor me in Potions and I'll tutor you in Transfiguration." James offered, trying to keep in step with the boy.

Regulus stopped, turning to look at the boy.

He was going to regret it.

He already regretted it.

Had he not had enough problems to deal with?

But Regulus knew James would not back down.

"Okay." Regulus agreed before beginning to walk again.

His answer must have thrown James off because the boy stayed frozen a few seconds longer.

Then he seemed to have shook it off as he practically skipped towards Regulus.