Chapter 11 - The Real Victory

It was Gryffindor versus Slytherin.

The stands were filled to the brim with students and parents and teachers and people who knew this game was not one to miss.

The game had been a tough one, the two teams head to head.

It seemed at if all the houses hate for each other were built into the very strategy they played.

The rivalry between the two houses was the strongest of them all and everyone who was anyone knew that.

The game was important to everyone involved.

Regulus threw himself into quidditch. Lived, slept, and breathed quidditch for weeks.

He was already one of the- if not the- greatest Slytherin seeker of all time.

So of course this game was one that would make or break his career.

He was so anxious before the game, he found it hard to sit still. His mind was plagued with quidditch.

Regulus had to win, the consequences of a loss would pin the entire Slytherin house against him.

That was something he definitely didn't need on his plate.

Regulus had nothing to gain, but so much to lose.

He spent the week leading up practicing. Day and night. Whenever he had time.

Which meant he was seeing very little of James, to the older boy's dismay.

One night had been spent flying together around the arena. It was nice, but they hadn't been kissing much as of late so it was tense.

By the time the match rolled around he was delusional and sleep-deprived, but he was prepared.

It was a tough match- mostly because both teams were such well-matched opponents.

It was so close. 240-230 with Gryffindor up by ten.

Regulus knew the only way for one or the other to win- was the snitch.

He sat on his broom, scouring the area in search for the pesky little thing.

It was growing dark and Regulus knew he had little time to find the snitch.

He was beginning to lose hope when a blur of gold caught his eye and he was off.

At his movent, the Gryffindor seeker caught onto the snitch and chased after Regulus.

It was intense to say the least.

The pair had been whipping around the stadium- to no extent.

Regulus watched as the snitch flew straight down and he saw his opportunity.

So he chased it and the Gryffindor seeker followed.

They grew closer and closer to the ground.

By the time they were ten feet from the ground, the Gryffindor seeker pulled up- not wanting to crash.

Regulus kept going, straight down until ten feet became four.

He pulled up, still on track with the snitch.

Carefully he pushed himself to his feet, balancing on the fast moving broomstick.

Regulus reached out, careful not to fall.

He slowed his broom to a stop.

For a moment he stood on his broom balancing, trying not to look down.

And then he thrusted his hand in the air showcasing the golden snitch fluttering between his fingers.

Cheers erupted from all around.