Chapter 2 - "Afraid you'll see something you like, Miguel?"

Start from the beginning

Y/n raised an eyebrow, a mischievous glint in her eyes that only Miguel could see due to him being close enough to her face to see through her lenses. "I wouldn't want to disappoint you, but I have no interest in showing you my face. It's not personal. It is simply about hiding my face and protecting my identity and the people I have left in my life."

Miguel's expression shifted from surprise to a mix of relief and annoyance. 'Good. We don't need any distractions or complications,' he thought to himself only to oppose his own thoughts, he needed to know if she was trustworthy and he couldn't let whatever these odd feelings were get in the way of his decision to share that trust.

"Get it over with and show us your face." He demanded getting over his own personal outlook and respecting trust more than his own feelings. Emotions could only take you so far, but trust was essential.

"Okay, you can see my face. If you can get my mask off me." The woman spoke.

"Excuse me?" Miguel was shocked by her statement and his eyes narrowed. he looked terrifying and once his eyes narrowed everyone around them either recoiled or took a step back whereas all Y/n did was cross her arms and shifted her weight to one leg stating, "You heard me pretty boy."

"Y/n, I don't think that's a good idea." Pavitr worried, not sure what was going on between Miguel and Y/n.

Y/n's playful smirk didn't waver, and she maintained eye contact with Miguel, challenging him. "Afraid you'll see something you like, Miguel?" she teased watching him visibly stiffen.

Miguel hesitated, torn between his curiosity and the desire to tell the woman she had absoloutly no chance with him. "Far from it sweetheart,"

"Wow nicknames already," Pavitr spoke getting a bit more comfortable knowing that the two were too engrossed in their competitive conversation to give out to him. Hobie was in shock at her competitive nature.

The rest of the Spider-Men watched with both curiosity and amusement. It was rare to see anyone compete with Miguel, especially an alleged ally. Y/n seemed to relish in the fact she was managing to get under his skin, and Y/n knew by the way the others reacted that this was a rare occasion.

"Come on, Miguel, what's the matter?" Y/n taunted, raising an eyebrow. "Are you scared?"

Miguel's jaw clenched, his competitive spirit fueling his judgment. He took a step closer to Y/n, his gaze locked on hers. "I'm not afraid of anything," he retorted, his voice tinged with defiance.

Y/n smirked, her playful demeanour not backing down. "Prove it, then," she challenged.

"Everyone out!" he said, his tone harsh and solemn.

The playful banter turned into something slightly more terrifying, and the atmosphere around them seemed to shift. The rest of the team could feel the underlying tension between the two and left as soon as the opportunity presented itself. Pavitr discreetly nudged Hobie on his way out while Hobie didn't move an inch, as he simply shook his head in awe.

"Hobie, get out."

Hobie knew that the situation could escalate further if they were left alone. "Miguel, I get it, but you two need some space," he argued softly, in an attempt to to reason with Miguel.

Before Miguel could respond, Y/n interjected, "Miguel is right, Hobie. ." Her tone was surprisingly gentle, and she shot Hobie a reassuring smile. "Don't worry. I won't cause any trouble. I'll be out soon."

Hobie hesitated, not entirely sure this was a good idea, and instead settled on waiting outside for her. "Fine, but I'll be outside the door, just in case," he finally gave in as his protective instincts were cursing him.