The kitten's meow echoed in my ear. She was totally worth it.

When the last doorbell rang, Lia and I ran out of class. My heart beat fast. I really hoped the kitten was still there. Maybe Jamison moved it? But he didn't seem like he would. He seemed fond of her, so he would naturally do what was best for her. Right?

We ran against the flow of students to the back door, which was closest to the alley.

"Wait, I have a stitch in my side," Lia said, slowing her gait and holding her side, looking like she had ran a marathon. 

Her hair was a silky waterfall down her back, and the t-shirt she wore was a better alternative compared to the oversized hoodie she'd come in this morning. She always began the day looking like she couldn't care less, but as she woke up, her appearance would improve, from hair to makeup in the break between classes, she looked presentable by the end of the day.

"Seriously?" I asked, slowing down as well. The hallways were almost empty here. "You really need to exercise, girl."

"Oh, shut up," she said, breathing in deeply. I rolled my eyes and looked ahead. My steps faltered.

Ahead of us was the principal's office. Next to it stood the tall figure of Jamison. He was leaning a shoulder against the wall, staring at the flame of lighter in his hand. He flicked in on and off. The click-clack of the lighter echoed in the hallway.

"You don't think he's going to burn the school down, do you?" Lia asked in a whisper.

I shot her a glance. "Don't be mean."

She grew quiet as we grew near, our steps were almost in tune with the sound of the lighter. Jamison looked up. Our eyes met.

I didn't want to be rude so I smiled at him, expecting him to just ignore me.

A tiny grove formed between his eyebrows. And, to my surprise, he gave a slight nod and looked back down at the fascinating flame.

Lia and I walked past him. As soon as the backdoor was closed behind us, Lia pulled me along with wide eyes.

"What was that?" she asked in a loud whisper, looking behind her as if expecting Jamison to pop out of nowhere.

"What was what?"

"You know what!" she hissed. "Since when are you two so chummy?"

I laughed. "I literally just smiled at him to be polite. Is that being chummy?"

"You didn't even know the guy existed this morning."

I sighed. She wasn't going to let it go. "He's the one taking care of the kitten."

She stopped and looked at me, her face empty. A slow blink. "He's what?"

"He's the one taking care of the kitten. I met him when I went to look for the kitten at lunch," I told her, pulling her along toward the alley. 

The afternoon sun was so strong it felt like it was shining right above our heads. The sound of the football team training echoed in the air. Shouts and laughter and whistles. I squinted against the sun. The football field was down a green slope from where we stood. Steps led down to it. I could almost see Scott fooling around. He was the biggest guy in the team.

"Well, that's... unexpected," Lia said thoughtfully. "I would've expected him to strangle kittens for a hobby, not-"

I laughed. "Oh my god, Lia. You're horrible. What did the poor guy ever do to you?"

She pursed her lips, then she sighed. "Okay, okay. I might be a bit biased because of all the talk going around town about him being a dangerous asshole," she said. "But just because he was nice to a kitten, doesn't mean he's safe to be around."