Chapter thirty-three

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure you want to hear from him? You haven't even recovered yet. What if again...."

I looked at my assistant who stopped his sentence halfway. I can see the concern and insecurity written on his face. Well, I didn't think about it. I don't know how I'll react. The first time I heard about the matter, I fainted. But now, I'm prepared. I also know Shraddha is waiting for me at home. She gave me a new life. I won't waste it by being weak. I will face whatever it is headstrong. I hope I keep on to my words.

"I'm ready." I say.

A middle-aged dark-skinned man comes to us. He is in casuals. Looking very respectable and decent. He sits and speaks.
"I'm Rahul. You wanted to see me to discuss my wife's report right?"

I look at the assistant for an explanation. What report was he talking about? We were here to discuss the things that have been buried in the past. To dig them up and find answers to my question.

"It was the only idea I could think of to get him here. I'm sorry."

I breathe calmly and evade the topic. This is not a professional meeting. Something else brought me. "Look, whatever your wife or her report is talking about, you can meet the hospital for clarification. Right now, I want to know whether you knew Supriya Kapoor."

"Excuse me. I was told to come here because you wanted to tell me what's..."

"You're not my friend. Why do you think I'll invite you to a restaurant that too, in the evening?"

"Then why am I here? You're the doctor we met two weeks ago. Did you not recognize me?"

I see a lot of people every day. I rarely save a person's face unless he's a constant visitor. But he looks like the man who visited me with his wife. She had many complications with her pregnancy. They couldn't pay the amount required for the medications that could prevent those complications or their next consultation fee. If I'm not mistaken, he looks like the same man.

"Do you know Supriya Kapoor? Supriya Anand Kapoor? And Riya Kapoor?"

His expression changes into something I can't comprehend. He suddenly seems uneasy and his constant moves on the chair make me more suspicious. He knows them. He knows them.

I tighten my fist more.

"Who are you?" he enquires.

"I'm Anand Kapoor. Riya's brother and Supriya's husband, before her death."

His uneasiness grows as he gets up and stutters while saying, "I don't know any of them. If you don't have anything to say about my wife's report, I'll go. Like I said already, your consultation fee is very high. We can't afford it so we'll return to the government hospital for treatment."

"If you tell me how close you were to Supriya, I'll supply you with free treatment until your wife gives birth."

"What are you saying Anand?" the assistant asks. I don't mind paying for him as long as I will have the truth.

"I promise you." I add.

"You're lying. After I tell you what you want to hear, even if you keep your word and give us treatment, in the end I'm sure you'll make sure you kill my wife at the theatre because a man's soul never forgives."

"I've never had an unsuccessful operation. If God permits, it won't start on your wife."

Omniscient narrator
The guest refused to believe Anand. He turned to leave and started going towards the door.

"If you don't want treatment in my hospital, I'll pay you money to go for another. Your wife's complications can't be ignored or it can prove to be fatal for her and the child if treatment isn't given soon."

The man stopped in his tracks. He spun and looked at Anand to check whether he was being genuine or he was just saying it to get the truth out of him.

"How can I know you're serious?" he said and returned to his seat, then sat down.

"I will transfer half of the amount now. When you tell me the truth, I will give the rest." Anand told him. He put out his phone and opened his mobile bank. All the while, the man was contemplating why he wanted to know something that had transpired years ago. Moreover, his wife was already dead. How will it benefit him to open old wounds?

"You tell me your account number. I'll transfer the money."

The guest sighed. He reminded himself he left his bad habits. Ever since he married, he promised to change into a decent man. Also, he was going to welcome a child. He will work honestly and gather the money required for his wife's treatment without being negative like in the past.

"I don't want money. I will tell you about the relationship we shared. But with a condition. What we discussed will never leave this room."

"I give my word. No one will know about you." Anand said.

The guest remained silent and the chattering of the others countered the room. Anand had given him his listening ears and was waiting for him to spill out what he knew. On the other hand, it was very difficult for the man to travel back to the past.

"I didn't know what love was before. I wanted to be rich in the easiest way. I met Riya and found out she belonged to a wealthy family. At the same time, I was dating Supriya. Not only her, there were others. I don't know what I had but I always got lucky in enticing rich women. Supriya loved me immensely. Whenever you went on a work trip, she will visit me and...."

Anand turned a deaf ear to the rest. The sign of his veins was visible on his neck which is coming up due to the anger he's trying to consume. Supriya did cheat. She disrespected his relationship and dragged his name through the mud.

"That's all. Everything is the past. After I met my wife, I understood the true meaning of love."

"When did you meet Supriya for the first time?"

"About 13 years ago."

Anand gawked out his mouth to inhale breath. That was just three years after their wedding. Three years! The room became very small for him to breathe in. He got up silently and exited the cafe for fresh air.