XV. Fates

°•°•[Fates]•°•°

JULIA WAS SITING ON the meadow one evening in spring when snow already melted and birds were singing. She was lost in her thoughts drawing when Xavier came to her, his hair messy. "Martyn isn't dead," he said. "He is near District Thirteen and I know you knew that."

"I let him go before my Tour. I gave him the instructions, even though I'm pretty sure he knew something about it because Snow wanted him dead. But I honestly thought he would be there in less than ten weeks."

"You were risking both his and Amber's life."

"You were too."

"Why would you do that?"

"You wouldn't kill him and neither would I. I made it easier for us and for him. This way, he at least got a chance to live somewhere safe until the rebellion you are all promising. The rebellion I am promising."

"You might be right. But he could have easily died on the way."

"He's alright," Julia insisted. "He will be alright."

"How do you know?"

"I don't. One of many things, actually."

Redhead looked at Xavier for the first took me since he came. His eyes were normal for first few seconds, but became full of fear. He looked like he was struggling to breath. Like he was drowning. He almost drowned when he was in his arena. 

Julia put her hands on boy's shoulders. "Xavier! Look at me, please, look at me! It's me, Julia! Xavier! Xavier!" she shook him first easily, than violently. 

Xavier blinked and threw Julia down on the floor, pinning her to the ground. Julia didn't fought back and kept laying on the snow, breathing heavily. It was almost as when Xavier had his first attack. Boy was teaching orphans how to throw knifes when his mind found itself back in the arena. Julia slapped him and he attacked her. She didn't do anything then, she won't do anything now. Just let him realize where he is. 

"I'm sorry," Xavier whispered, moving of Julia. "It was a reflex. I was back in the arena and-"

"I know, I know," she sat up. "You were back in the river. It's okay. You are safe now. It's okay," she didn't know if she was telling that more to Xavier or to herself.

       "Stay," Xavier muttered. 

Julia moved a bit closer to him. Stay immediately made her worried. "What is it?" 

"Just stay." 

"I'm staying. I never thought about going," she said. "What happened while I was on Victory Tour? I'll know if you lie, but you don't have to answer." 

Xavier didn't answer for a long period, but shook his head. "I had few... flashbacks about the river and Split and Alge. Games in total," Julia squeezed his hand in reassurance. "And Beetee called me after your visit to District Four, telling me about your flashback, and I... I don't know. It's just all too much," tear feel down Xavier's cheek. "I'm having flashbacks ever since." 

Redhead hugged him. "I'm not going anywhere." 

"I'm staying too." 

They leaned into each other and fell asleep like that on the meadow in hopes that everything would be better soon. 

       Next morning, Julia woke up not knowing where she is. For a few seconds, she was just starring into the sky and it almost looked like she was back in the arena. She immediately sat up, panic and adrenaline washing over her body, but Xavier pulled her sleeve.