Facade

The weekend passed with the theatre arts department returning from the field trip to deal with the rest of the semester head-on

A lot of things have changed since the first half of the semester. The actor who played the role of the vivacious fairy in the play called Puck earned himself the title of the department's most valued actor after his impressive performance replacing the former holder of the title, Chenle. The university has agreed to increase the funds for their department thanks to the publicity. Everyone knows of Chenle's low tolerance owing to the drinking games they played on the final night of the trip. Jeno and Eun are on good terms now.

But the weirdest change that everyone noticed was that Hyuck and Eun were now a thing. It came off as weird because no one has actually seen them speak to each other before. It was a pair that never even existed in their intuitions.

"Are you guys really dating?" Chenle asked after calling for an emergency lunchbreak meet in the cafeteria.

"Yes, we are." Eun replied.

"I didn't think you were serious about him." Jeno joined in.

"It just sort of happened."

"This is a bad idea Eun," Chenle went, "that guy's in love with himself!"

Jeno nodded in agreement as he scooped a spoonful of rice.

"I'm well aware of that Chenle," Eun replied, "and I can change him."

"I cAn cHaNge hiM-you sound like one of those psychotic people that romanticize serial killers."

"It was clearly a joke."

Jeno had finished his lunch amidst their bickering. He picked up his tray and got up from his seat, "Get rid of him before it gets serious Eun, we're just concerned for you as your friends."

"Word." Chenle added.

Eun was getting annoyed at the emphasis on friends and friendship everytime Jeno said a sentence like damn it Jeno, she gets it.

"Anyways, I know what I'm doing so let's end it here. I'll see you guys later at Mark's." Eun pulled back her chair to get up.

"Wait you're coming to his party too?" Chenle asked surprised.

"Yeah. Hyuck invited me."

✎...

Eun slipped in a dress and stood infront of her mirror making sure her outfit didn't give off the fact that she hadn't been to a lot of parties.

"This should do." She uttered to herself.

"Are you sure about this?" Dana asked as she sorted a pile of clothes on Eun's bed.

"About the dress?" said Eun turning her head over her shoulder, "I think it looks okay."

"No," Dana replied, "Hyuck."

Eun avoided the question by directing her attention back on the mirror nervously arranging her straps.

"Well you can't avoid the question forever," Dana paused, frowning, "you know you can tell me anything."

Eun sat beside Dana, her hands twisting themselves nervously on her lap.

"Alright," said Eun, "I may have been a bit tipsy when he suggested dating and well...you know the rest of the story."

"Okay so maybe the situation called for it, but you could've cleared it up the next morning when you sobered up? That's what I don't understand."said Dana eagerly, "He's a narcissist Eun."

"You think I didn't try that? It's just that he's a whole different person when we're together and maybe...I don't really hate that."

There was a moment's silence. Then Dana drew a deep breath, "Alright. Guess I'll have to trust you again like I always have."

Eun smiled and pulled her in for a hug. She was glad to finally have the approval of someone.

✎...

"This is a very odd trio." Chenle snorted.

Around the same time that Eun was with Hyuck at the party, Dana, Chenle and Jisung, Eun's cousin and also Dana's boyfriend, met up at the nearest McDonald's.

"Are you sure this is a good idea? I mean, why are we at McDonald's plotting my cousin's breakup?" Jisung asked with genuine concern.

"Because your cousin's head over heels for a narcissist and we need to do something before she gets hurt." Dana went, "I lied to her saying I trusted her but this man's got her convinced with all the flattery he pulled out of his ass."

"And is that really a bad thing?"

"It's all a facade that narcissists put up at the start."

Jisung stared at her, "You seem to know a lot about narcissists?"

"Well I had one for an ex so it's pretty obvious. Putting up with them feels like slow suicide and I don't want that for Eun."

"So how are we gonna play this out exactly?" Chenle leant forward, his elbows on the table.

"We'll set up a trap for him and make him walk right into it and Eun will be there to witness it." Dana went, "But before anything, we need to keep an eye on him to just be one hundred percent sure that he's only putting up an act."

"And who's keeping an eye on him?" Jisung asked.

Hyuck had seen Eun with Chenle and Dana at several occasions so it was pretty risky for them to follow him around. But Jisung was a total stranger to Hyuck and he could easily camouflage into the crowd if he was ever spotted.

Dana and Chenle cornered Jisung with their gazes as he put on a nonchalant expression.

"I'm stalking my cousin's boyfriend. That sounds wrong on so many levels."