Gathering

Eun felt good to be back at her parent's house; the living room with the daisy wallpaper, the bedroom she spent her teenage years in and her mom's home-cooked meals were some of the things she missed most about the place but she wouldn't complain ...

Eun felt good to be back at her parent's house; the living room with the daisy wallpaper, the bedroom she spent her teenage years in and her mom's home-cooked meals were some of the things she missed most about the place but she wouldn't complain about the apartment life as it was a personal space she delighted in although it could get a lil lonely at times.

Eun heard the clack of her mom's heels walking down the stairs as she feasted on a casserole of leftovers.

"Mom? Where are you headed to at this hour?"

"Did your father not tell you yet? We're having the planned gathering tonight at the Zhongs."

Eun choked on the broth upon hearing her answer. She was not ready to meet Chenle, not until two weeks when they both forget about the conversation in the props room.

"I think I might have to take a rain check this time, I'll warm up some rice and prepare a meal so don't worry about me and have a good time. "

"No. We're all going and that's that. This may be the last time the familes can gather together until the year end holidays."

"Oh come on I can look after the house while you guys are away plus I meet them everyday in uni-"

"Get the car keys and don't forget to lock the door."

✎...

The Zhongs bought a mansion in the heart of the city after moving out of the former neighborhood. It was the hotspot for all their gatherings and they willingly welcomed the Parks and Lees every year. The three families developed a very intimate bond during the years they resided as neighbors in their former block apartment.

"How long has it been? Good to see you all again!" Mrs Zhong exclaimed with much excitement as she led them to the dining hall, "We've been eager for your arrival."

The adults indulged in a long conversation that covered many topics of interest from ginseng meds to Korean politics and some shady speculations about their office employees. It was still very early for dinner to be served.

Chenle, Jeno and the other kids were upstairs having a Nintendo tournament while Eun was still navigating through the hallways. She had never felt so out of place, she couldn't bear to sit with the parents and bore herself with their talks nor could she hang out with the other crowd without feeling uneasy around Chenle.

"Eun? What are you doing all alone?" A familiar voice called out from behind her.

"Hiding." She blurted out but quickly covered it up upon seeing Jeno's confused stare, "I'm hiding from Dahee, she's been bugging me to do her manicure but I can't stand the smell of nail enamel." A nervous laughter followed.

"She's fixed on her controllers so she won't move for the next two hours. Come on."

She followed him upstairs to Chenle's room unsure of whether she could handle the discomfort, nonetheless, she'd decided to act nonchalant.

"Ditch the game, we're doing a movie marathon tonight." Jeno snatched Chenle's controllers and passed it on to the others.

"I ALMOST HAD HIM-" Chenle groaned as he proceeded to hold Jeno in a neck lock but stopped abruptly upon noticing Eun's presence.

He dropped on the couch and started scrolling through his phone and Eun walked to the far opposite of the room browsing through the shelves displaying a vast collection of Ultraman figurines. They were clearly still not over what had happened earlier that evening.

"What's up with both of you? Another fight?" Jeno asked upon observing their movements.

Both of them shook their heads in unison.

"Okay, another fight it is," Jeno exhaled, "I'm gonna get us some food so make sure you make out by then–"

"HOLD ON-" she gave Jeno an unsettling glare.

"DUDE??" Chenle shoot a cushion towards Jeno.

"My bad, I meant MAKE UP AND RECONCILE with each other instead of moping around the house for the entire evening assholes." He shut the door behind him and the sound of his footsteps gradually fainted.

Not only did Jeno leave them alone in a room together but even thickened the tension between them by the slip of his tongue.