"Uh well, it's fine. They don't know." That explanation ought to have worked, right? "What?" They all exclaimed. Okay, maybe that explanation didn't work out as I planned.

I scooted away defensively, tapping my fingers on my leg, "They're on a.. business trip. So, they're not at home, which means they didn't see me." I stated. I could see the looks they gave each other and it annoyed me slightly. People's parents went away all the time, so it wasn't any different for me.

"So, you're telling me that you were home alone? After an incident that could have secondary effects that only pop up hours after the event?" Hen questioned and I was slightly scared of her tone of voice. It must be the 'mama bear' thing that Buck was telling me about.

Even Chim looked concerned and he was usually the relaxed one. "Look it's not a big deal, alright? I'm fine." I insisted. Eddie stepped forward, placing a hand on my shoulder, "We're just looking out for you kid. If somethings wrong, you can tell us." He said earnestly.

My eyes flickered to the people surrounding me, seeing the same fondness apparent on their faces. There was a slight pause, too long to be comfortable, before I shrugged Eddie's hand off. "I'm fine, don't be weird. I've got to go clean the trucks or something." It was a weak excuse, but the only one I had at hand.

Like the grown man I was, I scampered off downstairs without another look or word to the others. One of the trucks was actually dirty from their last call where they ended up on a muddy farm, so turns out I did have work to do.

It was clear they were talking about something upstairs, but I was too far to be able to hear what they were actually saying. I grabbed the bucket of soapy water and a sponge, then picked a spot to start scrubbing. The mud had dried, so it wasn't very easy to get off without some power behind my hands.

Still, I managed as long as I didn't have to continue my conversation upstairs. They were skeptical and understandably so, as I wasn't telling the whole truth.

They don't need to know the truth yet, since it didn't concern them at all. I had met these guys just over a week ago and didn't trust them yet. Even if they were very nice.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

I dropped the sponge from surprise, cringing when the water splashed up from the bucket on to my shirt. My feet pivoted and I was confused to see the woman that was with Hen at the cafe.

My throat cleared slightly and I wiped at the wet patch on my shirt, "Uh hi. I'm not thinking about anything- well technically I am because you can't not think, but it wasn't anything important per say-" I cut my rambling off at her laughter, the sound warm and inviting.

"It's just an expression kid." She stated.

How did I end up in these awkward conversations?

"Right of course. A-Are you looking for Hen? She's upstairs with everyone else." I explained, still unsure as to what she was doing at the station. Again, the lady laughed and gestured for me to follow her.

As I walked behind her, I had a look at her attire. She was obviously in a police officer's uniform and I could tell she was a good one just by the way she carried herself. Confident, but not arrogant and stern, but fair.

"Hey Athena!" Buck greeted, jogging over to give her a hug. The others greeted her and Bobby even gave her a peck on the lips. Oh- those two? Okay Bobby.

I shuffled over to Eddie's side, deciding to take a small bit of comfort in his presence. He smiled down at me, even if I kept my gaze forward.

"Care to introduce me to your young apprentice? Poor soul looked confused the moment I walked in." We all laughed at that and she winked at me playfully.

"Cooper this is Athena and Athena this is Cooper. Athena's part of the family, a close friend you could say and an even closer friend to Bobby." Buck teased, earning an elbow from the officer and a stern look from his captain.

So if Bobby was like his dad, then Athena would be like his mum? They seemed close enough to have that relationship.

We shook hands and I smiled slightly, "It's nice to meet you." I muttered. She glanced to her partner and they shared a look, something fond but indescribable to my own eyes. What is with these people and sharing looks that I can't understand?

Athena hung around for a while and I got to see the family dynamic in full force. It was interesting to see how they worked and just how.. comfortable it all was.

I had known these people for such a short time and they just had the reoccurring feeling of comfortability surrounding their every move. It was kind of frustrating. I've spent years being this tough kid, who doesn't get comfortable and keeps his cards close to this chest.

So what made these people so different?