CHAPTER 21

Celes POV

"In times like this, I'd rather we chat while drinking strong bottle of gin or something", Anisha said dreamily.

"You're too young for that", I quickly fired back.

But I would have to agree...

"My body in this world is but my soul isn't! And my soul craves alcohol!"

"Yeah, you should get to bed. You're getting sick in the head."

"Oh! That rhymed!"

I laughed. She really is a silly human.

"By the way Celes, are you really okay?"

I stilled. I guess I was being too obvious about it. Murke's comments really got me and unfortunately, I am now a powerless god who can't even threaten a fly.

"I was just thinking about the past."

"Oh! What's this? The oh-so-mighty Celes gets to reminisce?! Count me in!"

I chuckled. She was really different. Of course, I was well aware that she and "her" only resembled each other physically but their souls couldn't be far more different.

"Care to share?", Anisha asked snapping me out of my reverie.

"You really are shameless mortal. But if you are willing to listen I might just do."

Her face quickly lit up in excitement. With a smile on her lips she rested her head on both arms and looked at me expectantly.

I sighed. Maybe I'll humor her for once. A sad smile slowly crept into my face as I thought about the events of the past. Back to 450 years ago...

-----

"Abrial!" I called.

A pair of vibrant blue orbs quickly met mine. Her silver-bluish hair shone brightly as the morning sky. Her beautiful white dress was dancing in the wind.

She smiled.

A goddess...

I quickly ran up to her and held her by the waist, kissing her cheek.

"Celes! You were taking so long I thought you forgot!", she exclaimed while wrapping her own arms around my waist.

"How could I? It's your birthday, dearest. I'll never forget your most special day.", I said while playing with a strand of her head. "And - might I add, you look gorgeous!"

I lifted her by the waist and twirled her around while she laughed in glee.

"You rascal! Who will ever take you seriously if you act this adorable?"

"I would like to be called charming, darling.", I retorted. Only this woman gets to call me, the mightiest of the gods, 'adorable' and get away with it.

"I really wish they would act less lovingly while we are here!", Igni said.

"You aren't still used to it by now?", asked Zeph looking shocked.

"It's too much. I swear they act like they got married yesterday.", complained Reve

"Now, boys! Aren't you being too harsh? I mean to our leader, sure! But Abi is an angel!", Aqui retorted.

I shook my head. After letting Abrial sit in her seat, I took my own beside her and sighed wishing that today's meeting ends as quickly.

"Let them be. They are married.", said Reve.

I smiled.

"Now, as much I would like to humor you all. Aren't we a tad bit late on schedule?", Abrial asked.

Everyone quickly returned to their serious and stoic demeanor. We all knew that this was indeed important.

If it wasn't I'll be at home with my loving wife...

"The world of Altrea is collapsing", I stated in a solemn but firm voice.

The gods around me shook their heads in disappointment. Altrea is the world we govern. If it collapses, we lose our powers as gods.

Abrial stood up from her seat and faced the horizon. "As you know, the people are losing their faith. Because of the Great Calamity, the wars for food and resources had been unceasing. As the god of Space, I suggest, we take resources from other worlds and take them."

I quickly sprang from my seat. "Everyone here knows that it has never been done before, my love. And dangerous even for us gods."

"Then what do you suggest, Celes? We can't use Igni, Aqui, Silt, and Zeph's powers anymore because their followers have significantly diminished, Gliae, Reve and Lustre are on their last legs as well. Only you and I can do something about this."

I sighed.

I know.

Due to the lack of believers, Gliae, Reve and Lustre have already spent their remaining power on trying to hold the world together. The other gods have received various curses from the people and are close to powerless.

"We have to find the cause of the great calamity. This is the only way to save our people.", Aqui said.

"We don't have enough time.", said Abrial. She quickly turned her eyes on me. "Let me go. I will do what I can and return."

I looked around me. Our wonderous temple which used to shine brighter than any star in the galaxy have slowly started showing cracks and rubble. I gazed at the faces of my fellow gods. They all look tired. Abrial and I were the only ones who had enough powers because of our strong and faithful believers.

There has been too much bloodshed in Altrea. The world was slowly being covered in darkness and filth.

I sighed.

"Where?", I asked.

"Earth."

Author's note: Hi everyone! I know it took a century for me to update but I'm back! As a gift to all who were patient, I'll be sharing some important news: WE WILL NOW BE ENTERING CELES' BACKSTORY! Hope you like it :> (Will try to update every week from now.)