xiv. LOSING EVERYTHING

MIGUEL SAT IN the row, next to Samantha

MIGUEL SAT IN the row, next to Samantha. Sinn sat in the corner, since he was testifying. Miguel was thinking for a moment, why wasn't he sitting there? He was nervous. Extremely. There was no way in hell this was going to go well. He felt sweaty, like this room was one thousand degrees.

He sees Veera walk out, in shackles. The three policemen didn't take their eyes off of him. He looked so dead...so lost and miserable. Veera took his seat at the defense table and waited for the proceedings to begin.

The bailiff says, "all rise. The honorable judge Adam Smith, presiding." Everybody's stomach in knots. Sinn was scared. He's never felt like this. Especially since he's the killer. He's the one who murdered Chino Saetang. The court doesn't even know that. They aren't even here for him anymore. He killed himself.

The judge entered the courtroom, and the bailiff called the court to order. "You may be seated." It as quiet now. "Good morning, everyone," the judge said, his voice echoing through the courtroom. "We are here today to discuss the final sentencing phase of Veera Saetang. Mr. Saetang, are you ready to proceed?"

Veera just nods, his heart pounding. "Yes, Your Honor," he said, trying to keep her voice steady. "Very well," the judge whispers. "Let's begin with the opening statements. Mr. Saetang, you may proceed."

Veera turned to look at his lawyer, "explain what you told me yesterday." He whispered. He looks back up at the judge. His thoughts lingering in question. His stomach turning from the knots and nervousness making up in his blood. Veera stands up, clearing his throat before making his way to sit down at the witness stand.

Veera looks at the people, they were watching him, hating him. "My..my dad was the killer. He killed all those people..." He let out slowly.

He looks down, his throat getting caught in a hunch. "And he made me...help him." Veera didn't want to do anything. He didn't want to admit all of this. But he felt sick to this stomach. He felt like such an idiot to fall for his fathers trap.

"He made me think we were actually bonding for once." Veera laughed, the tears beginning to stream down his eyes. "I have nobody. I had no one. Besides him. And he took all of it away."

The judge's expression changed. It was like he hasn't seen a case like this in a while. "Thank you. You may be seated."

"Your honor." His lawyer spoke up. "The police found evidence detailing the gruesome things his father made him do. May I read this section of the transcript to you?"

He nods, "proceed."

"It is sunday night, nine-twenty-two pm. There is a lot of blood on my shoes from the hammer that smashed on Miguel's friends head, Tory. I can still hear her screams and see her body laying there..all mushed up and her face unrecognizable."