hanyu has a childish side, often seen when playing with chopper or usopp. her recklessness when exploring comes from the fact that she rarely ever got to leave her house growing up. if anything, the days when she'd leave the house in order to carry out a job were the best days. due to the fact that it's always night on nostrade island, hanyu loves sunrises and sunsets like no other. she enjoys playing pranks on her friends.

though she's often regarded as a rather fearless person in the face of danger, there is one certain group of people whose she's genuinely terrified of—her family. during the nostrade arc, hanyu's upbeat behavior quickly becomes silenced upon realizing that she would have to go see her family again. she feels weak, especially against her parents. hanyu's demeanor when near her family was often quiet and robotic, but she becomes rude when speaking to them because she has strong friends to back her up. her entire childhood has been without love, so when hanyu finally finds people who can love her, she'll do anything to protect them. due to her upbringing, her idea of love is rather warped—though it's been getting healthier. she believes that to love someone is to keep them by your side by any means necessary, which is why she finds herself being unusually cruel to those who dare take her friends away. hanyu loves like a dog, something she's always been aware of.

background hanyu grew up as the only daughter of the yin family—the family that watched over nostrade island and its city. she had a twin brother, named liwen, who she frequently trained with. though hanyu had two older brothers, she wasn't as close with them. from a young age, hanyu was subjected to her family's assassin training—stealth, agility, and strength. despite the thriving city outside of her house, she rarely ever played with other children her age. as a result of her isolated upbringing, hanyu became very subdued—believing that her only purpose was to carry out orders. hanyu's dream was to see the entire world, but she had other duties to fulfill. she began plotting an escape during her free time. she ate her devil fruit at the age of 11.

when she turned 16, she put her plan into action. after killing her target during a mission, hanyu used it as a chance to desert her family. finding refuge in the diamond pirates, she became a pirate until they had shipwrecked into the capital of alabasta, alubarna. for the time being, hanyu had made a living and integrated herself into the city's society. her peaceful living takes a turn when she takes part in the civil war and joins the straw hats.

likes
⤷ painting
⤷ writing
⤷ candy
⤷ big meals
⤷ music
⤷ horror stories
dislikes
⤷ most of her family
⤷ the dark
⤷ the government
⤷ losing
⤷ dogs
⤷ orders

     ★        ☆                                        ☆        ★

birthplace nostrade island, grand line
occupation
⤷ assassin ( formerly )
⤷ pirate
affiliation
⤷ straw hat pirates
⤷ yin family
⤷ diamond pirates ( formerly )
status deceased
cause of death hanyu dies fighting her twin brother during the nostrade arc.
theme song family line, conan gray
voice claim yukino satsuki — shihouin yoruichi, bleach

     ★        ☆                                        ☆        ★

devil fruit akumu akumu no mi / nightmare nightmare fruit
⤷ a paramecia fruit that grants the user the ability to create entities or constructs made from fear. they're typically made from black smoke, and the user will always have small amounts of the substance emanating from them while using the fruit. the user will almost always have nightmares when sleeping and they constantly risk the chance of losing their sanity.
⤷ entanglement — an illusory skill that occurs when she makes eye contact with her target. she alters her target's perception of time and subjects them to days' worth of torture in a matter of seconds; some examples include having to relive traumatic events over and over again or being cut open endlessly.
haki
⤷ kenbunshoku / observation
⤷ busoshoku / armament
equipment
⤷ double-bladed staff
⤷ switchblade
bounty
⤷ 50,000,000 ( after enies lobby )
⤷ 101,000,000 ( after dressrosa )

nostrade saga takes place between reverie and wano, single arc.
⤷ arriving in the night city of nostrade island, hanyu's elusive past is revealed. the straw hats take on nostrade island's power family and a promise is made.
key plot-points:
⤷ hanyu and liwen die.
⤷ the yin family becomes inactive.
yin liwen third son and hanyu's twin brother. ate the kōkan kōkan no mi / exchange exchange fruit, a paramecia fruit that enables the user to "exchange" bodily impacts—used mainly to bring hanyu back to life, in exchange for nearly killing him in the process. he's blind as a punishment for disobeying his parents but is highly skilled in observation haki to make up for it.

     ★        ☆                                        ☆        ★

love interest nami, your oc
relationship to nami after sneaking onto the straw hat's ship in alabasta, she hid in the girls room for some time. alongside robin, she got closer to the rest of the crew. one of the more notable crew members to her was nami. hanyu thought it was cliche, but she really did like nami as soon as she saw her. she enjoys showing off in front of her and practically begs for nami to rely on her or hide behind her during a battle. she goes shopping with her, but only to hold the mass amounts of clothes she buys ( hanyu pays for them, naturally ). hanyu finds it funny to bother her or take things from her, reveling in the way she gets mad at her. since she's so reckless, it stresses nami out that she isn't taking her safety into more consideration. at the time of her death, the only regret that hanyu really had was that she wasn't able to spend more time with her and the rest of the crew.

close friends vinsmoke sanji, monkey d. luffy, usopp
friends straw hat pirates, nefertari vivi

     ★        ☆                                        ☆        ★

trivia
⤷ hanyu's epithet derives from the fact she's cheated death multiple times, thanks to her brother's devil fruit. previously, she's died three different times throughout her childhood.
⤷ she has a habit of winking at people.
       ⤷ hanyu has a bad memory when it comes to her past, which is the main reason why she doesn't remember being friends with sanji when they were younger.
       ⤷ hanyu is inspired by gojō satoru from jujutsu kaisen! her family is inspired by the zoldyck family from hunter x hunter.
⤷ due to her upbringing, hanyu can be cruel. she often relies on the straw hats as her moral compass.
⤷ she's particularly good at haggling shop prices down.
       ⤷ her devil fruit's been in the family for generations. every time, the user died early because they lost their sanity. aside from that, her brothers wanted the glory of the family fruit, so they often tried to kill her so the fruit would go back into circulation—giving them a chance to eat it for themselves. needless to say, she's been doomed ever since she ate it!
⤷ had hanyu lived, she would've definitely been able to awaken her conqueror's haki later on. she also would've been apart of the yakuza in wano for her cover.
⤷ sanji and hanyu are essentially one and the same—both being from important families, disowning them, and finding a happier life with the straw hats. they were extremely close up until her untimely death at the hands of her family.