Chapter 37: Getting Even

Brenna

Determined not to submit to Adan and be ordered around, I concocted a plan for him to see me as an equal... or else. He was going to treat me as an equal if it was the last thing I did

Hurrying to shower, I blew my hair dry, letting it fall into curls over my shoulders. Unable to resist, I dressed in a long, red evening gown. It was strapless and fitted to the bodice, then it flared out at the waist, accentuating my thin waist. I then slipped into some red heels, threw on a bit of makeup, and headed out the door.

The guards did a double-take when they saw me.

"My Queen!" one of the guards bowed slightly, offering me his arm. "May I have the honor of escorting you to dinner in the conference room this evening?"

I nodded, pleased by his reaction. "Yes, please. Thank you."

The other guard offered me his arm, too, and smiled. "My Queen."

"Thank you." I took their arms, and they escorted me to the elevator. "What are your names?" I asked once the doors were closed.

"I'm Cory Hill," the blond guard replied, a smile lighting his lips.

I nodded and turned to the brunette. "And you are...."

"Harper. Harper Glenn." His voice was deeper, and he appeared to be much more serious than his counterpart.

"Well...." I looked between them, smiling at them both. "Cory, Harper, it's nice to officially meet you both."

"Thank you, My Queen." Cory bowed slightly again.

Just then, the elevator doors opened, and they walked me out. We stopped near a door, and they both let my hand go.

"My Queen." Harper opened the door and stood back to let me enter.

"You're not coming in?" I asked.

They shook their heads.

"No, My Queen," Harper replied. "We'll wait out here."

"Thank you."

Just then, the door opened, and Adan was there. "I thought I heard—" He froze when he saw me. "You look gorgeous, but I think it's a bit overkill. Why don't you go upstairs and dress in—"

"Nope!" I cut him off, smiling. "You ordered me to dine with you and the Dons, and you said to dress up. So, that's exactly what I did."

I tried to walk past him, but he held his arm up, stopping me. "Brenna, do not play games with me."

I narrowed my eyes. "And do not order me around." I let out a deep breath. "Now. Move and let me pass."

He gritted his teeth and glared at the guards, who quickly turned away, taking their posts. Without a word, he lowered his arm and let me in.

Immediately, all of the Dons rose to their feet, their eyes wide.

"Gentlemen." Adan quickly leveled a glance at me. "This is my fiancé, Brenna Sutton."

They all nodded, smiling as a chorus of "Good evening, ma'am." "Lovely." "Lucky bastard." resonated throughout the room.

"Good evening, gentlemen." I smiled as I took my seat. Adan held it for me.

Then he took his seat kitty-corner from me at the head of the table. "Well, gentlemen! Since everyone is here, shall we begin?"

The bartender set a drink on the table before me. "Rum and Coke?" He asked, smiling.

"That's fine," Adan replied for me and nodded his head for him to leave.

"I can answer for myself... honey." I batted my eyes at him as I shook out my napkin and laid it across my lap.

"As I said, you'd better watch it, unless you want me to kill every man who looks at you." Adan nodded toward the chef, and he stepped forward.

"Tonight, for your dining pleasure, we shall begin with Seared Scallops on a bed of homemade linguine, followed by an Antipasto Salad. Next, we shall have the main course of Bacon-Wrapped Pork tenderloin, roasted green beans, and roasted potatoes. Then for dessert, it's my pleasure to serve you Cherries Jubilee over homemade Italian Amaretto Ice Cream. Enjoy!" Then he headed toward the corner of the room to plate the appetizers and handed then to the waiters who served them.

"So, how do you like the castle?" I asked the Don sitting to my left. "Don Gold, isn't it?"

Brandon Gold nodded, a smile lighting his lips. "I like it just fine, thank you." Then he leaned in conspiratorially. "I don't know what you're playing at, but don't involve me. And a word of caution? Watch your step. You don't play with a Don, let alone a room full of them."

"Actually, I'm not flirting. I'm just being nice and making conversation." I shrugged. "But if you think I'm flirting—"

He nodded, dabbing at his lips. "As I said, don't involve me in this game you're playing." He rose to his feet. "Gentlemen, my lady." He kissed my hand. "It was certainly a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Then he glanced over at Adan and smiled. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do." Then he walked out. I guess he didn't want to take a chance on incurring Adan's wrath, since I was the only woman present.

Adan walked him out. When he returned, he clenched his jaw as he took his seat but didn't even glance my way. Hard telling what they had talked about.

I took a sip of my drink. Maybe making Adan jealous wasn't such a good idea after all. But I'd already embarked on this journey, and I wasn't going to back down now.

For the rest of the evening, I smiled and commented with pleasantries. Still, I was careful not to be overly friendly. After a while, Adan seemed to relax.

"Here you are, my lady." The chef smiled as he set a bowl of ice cream smothered in Cherries Jubilee on the table before me. I hadn't even seen him light it.

"Thank you." I lifted my spoon, ready to dig in. After what Don Gold had said, I had lost my appetite.

But Don Sky leaned in and whispered. "Don't worry. You're doing great."

I smiled and nodded, glad that he thought so.

As dessert was served, waiters brought tall, fluted glasses filled with champagne, complimenting the dessert.

At the end of the evening, Don Sky smiled as he dabbed at his lips with his napkin and laid it on his plate. Out of all the Dons, he was the only one I had met before.

"Well, Adan! That was delicious! Thank you." Then he walked around the table to me, taking my hand as he looked into my eyes. "And thank you, lovely Brenna, for the stimulating company." He raised my hand to his lips. "A flower is always welcome among the thorns."

"I see no thorns here." A smile lit my lips. "The pleasure was all mine. It's good to see you again." I dabbed at my lips with the cloth napkin and rose to my feet as Adan quickly held my chair. "Thank you, gentlemen, but I've had a big day today. I hope you understand."

Comments of "Of course!" "By all means!" "It was delightful to meet you!" resonated around the table.

"You don't have to go," Adan whispered as he pushed in my chair.

"Oh, but I do," I replied, keeping my voice low. "See you tomorrow."