Chapter 38: A Dangerous Man

Brenna

He nodded once. "I'll walk you out."

"That won't be necessary." I indicated Lucian. "Don Sky will walk me out. Won't you?"

He nodded, the creases beside his eyes growing a bit deeper. "Yes! Of course." He shook Adan's hand. "Thank you for such a lovely evening. And regarding the other matter, let us know if you need us. We'll be here."

Adan nodded. "Thank you, Don Sky."

"Lucian, please."

Adan smiled. "Yes, of course."

Then Lucian turned to me. "Well, my dear. Shall we?"

I nodded. "Thank you. My guards are right outside the door."

A grandfatherly smile lit his lips. "So are mine."

After we walked out, he closed the door behind us. "Do me a favor."

"What's that?"

He narrowed his eyes, even though he was still smiling. "Don't break his heart." Of course I knew exactly who he was talking about.

"I don't intend to." Was it that obvious? Did everyone think I was playing a game tonight? But then again, I guess I was. But I ended up making a fool of myself for trying to get even with Adan.

"Good!" His genuine smile returned. "Then we're golden."

"Ready to go, Don Sky?" a kind gentleman asked as he approached.

"Yes, I am." He patted my hand as he looked over at me. "If I were forty years younger...."

I chuckled. "You look wonderful now."

He patted my hand as he looked into my eyes. "That's very kind of you to say to an old man."

I chuckled. "Lucian, you'll never be old."

"Goodnight, Ms. Sutton."

I gasped, watching as he walk out with his guards. Did he know I was a princess in our world, or was he just being nice? I brushed it off, thinking he was just a nice older man... rather, a nice older dangerous man.

"Ready, My Queen?" Cory asked, offering me his arm.

"No, thank you."

I walked ahead to the elevator alone as Cory and Harper followed. I strolled into the elevator and turned around, keeping my eyes forward, and they stepped in with me. We rode in silence all the way up. When it came to a stop we walked silently to my condo. Cory opened the door for me and stepped aside.

"Thank you both... for guarding me. It was nice to know your names, and it's nice to know that you both have my back." Then I turned and walked into the room, not waiting for a reply.

I undressed, hung up my dress, and slipped into a beige silk robe. Then I made myself a drink, turned on the fireplace, and sat and watched it. I had thought of turning on the television just to have some noise in the room but thought better of it. I planned to finish my drink and go to bed. Hopefully, the next day would be better.

Suddenly, the adjoining door flew open, nearly scaring me to death. Adan was standing in the doorway, his eyes wild with rage. "What the hell was that all about downstairs? Did you really want me to kill someone tonight?"

"I was just being nice!"

"Like hell!" he stormed in and pinned me against the chair, accidentally knocking the drink out of my hand, sending it crashing to the floor. "Do not play with me, little girl. I can make you submit any time I wish."

"No, you can't." I stared into his eyes and stood as he backed up. "I am your equal, not your subordinate! Tonight, you introduced me as your finance, yet I don't see a ring on my finger." I held up my hand, wiggling my fingers. "Besides, I'm not going to agree to be your wife, Mate, girlfriend, or anything else you have in mind unless you can treat me as an equal. You need to stop ordering me around and using scare tactics to get your way!" I pushed his chest repeatedly, backing him toward his room. "I admit, I was angry that you kept ordering me around, so I tried to make you jealous. But it backfired."

"So, you admit that you were—"

"Look!" I cut him off. "Not to feed your ego, but no man in that room could hold a candle to you tonight, if that's what you're worried about!" I pushed his chest, and he took the last step into his room. "And if you can't trust me as far as you can throw me, then why are you with me?"

With that, I slammed the door in his face and locked it, leaving him with his own thoughts. Tears ran down my cheeks as I leaned against the door and slid down to the floor. Why did life have to be so complicated? Why couldn't my Mate have been a nice man that would love me and not try to dominate me?

I also cried for my mother, who would have told me that everything would be okay and that we would find a way. She would also have said that I was a grown woman and it was time to buck up and do what was right. I smiled at the thought.

Suddenly, strong arms were around me. My head snapped up, and it was Adan. "Come here."

"No!" I yelled, sounding like a child, even to my own ears.

"Brenna, I'm sorry," he cooed, brushing my hair away from my face, wiping a tear from under my eye. "I'm sorry I'm so jealous of you." He let out a deep breath, as if trying to figure it out himself. "You're the first woman I've ever felt that way about." He lifted me in his arms, slid me onto his lap, and rocked me back and forth. "I never meant to hurt you."

I nodded but couldn't speak for the tears.

But I didn't have to. Adan lifted me into his arms and carried me to my bed.

"Adan, I—"

"Do you trust me?"

I nodded.

"Then let me do this."

I sighed, relenting. After all, Adan was my Mate, whether I liked it or not.

But to my surprise, he pulled back the blankets and laid me on the bed. Then he lay beside me, covered us both up, and stretched out his arm. "Come here." I curled up in the crook of his arm, and he leaned his head against mine. "Now. Try and get some sleep."

But how could I sleep when my wolf was screaming at me to claim him and make him mine? Instead, I pushed my wolf aside and curled up next to Adan, laying my hand across his muscular chest. Soon, sleep found me, safe in my Alpha's arms.