chapter thirteen | welcome to new york

THE DAY STARTED like any other, get up and get dressed and then go learn stuff at college. Today it was just the happy couple since everyone else was either working or didn't have classes yet. Anika and Mindy however were out getting breakfast together. They had gotten back together a few weeks ago. Y/n knew they couldn't stay away from each other forever. They were meant to be together.

The two sat next to each other, finishing up an assignment that is due today. They planned to finish it the day before but they were distracted with other things.

Tara seemed to understand the topic while Y/n didn't, usually, it's the other way around. "What do you think about stopping work for now and focusing on each other?" Tara questioned with a flirty tone and put away her things. "I mean, we could just stare at each other or go get something to eat."

"We could do that," Y/n replied as she put her stuff away and turned back to Tara. A smile appeared on her face, the happiest smile she's seen in a while. Y/n loved seeing that smile.

Y/n went on to give Tara her answer but was soon cut off by someone yelling Tara's name, it was a voice that Y/n didn't recognize. "Tara, hey!" The voice called out happily. The two looked in the direction of the voice to see a girl with black hair and brown eyes, she looked to be about 5 feet and 3 inches tall. Could that have been Amber Freeman?

"Oh my god, Amber!" Tara shouted happily before standing up and quickly running towards the mystery girl to pull her into a hug. The Meeks-Martin twins and Anika stood behind her, smiles on the twins' faces. This was their friend, the same friend that she was so worried about.

What was she doing here?

"Amber here is going to be joining us here in a few days." She heard Mindy say as she walked up to the group, wanting to hear what they were talking about. "You've never met her, but this is Tara's girlfriend, Y/n."

Y/n and Amber exchanged an awkward hello and shook hands. "So, you're transferring here?" Y/n asked curiously only to receive a glare from Tara before turning back to her friend. Something about that reaction didn't settle well with her.

"Yep, I'm the new kid." She joked and soon chuckled.

The only one not laughing at the joke was Y/n. Tara however was laughing harder than she did with any of her girlfriend's jokes. Soon enough, Tara was offering to show her around campus and leaving her girlfriend and friends behind. "Was that odd to anyone else?" Y/n questioned.

"She's just excited, don't think too much about it. We'll tell you if anything seems weird to us." Chad replied and patted her on the back reassuringly. He grinned at her and then the twins walked to class, leaving Y/n and Anika alone.

"Let's go get you something to eat and take your mind off of this," Anika spoke like a mother talking to her toddler before taking her friend to the nearby cafe for coffee and muffins, she knew it would help.

Something about this just didn't feel right to Y/n, she didn't know why.

Y/n and Sam worked together to restock shelves and figure out a solution to Sam's boy problems. She tried to focus on that but she couldn't stop thinking about how fast Tara left her for Amber. Not a single goodbye or kiss, just nothing. She had brought it up with Sam but so far her opinion was the same as everyone else's, she was thinking about it too much.

She did have some helpful advice though.

"Give it a few days and if it's still bothering you then talk to her about it," Sam suggested and put the last can of soup on the shelf before moving down to the next set of shelves for a new product. "She loves you more than anything, she makes sure to announce it every day."