chapter seven | more than friends

MIDTERMS HAD PASSED and finally, all the worries were gone, now everyone was going home for their break. Tara and her gang were going back to California while Y/n and her group were going back to Washington State. It wasn't as exciting as New York but she had to see her family.

The car ride to the childhood house was silent between Y/n, Rose, and Kane. She's thought about her last conversation with Kane for months and she still hasn't concluded yet. She wasn't sure if she ever would. Tara was super nice but Y/n was already lying to her.

If Tara ever found out, she would lose her.

She went into this not knowing who she was but now she liked having Tara around. She considered her a real friend, she felt like she's known Tara all her life and she's only known her for six months. Now she feared Tara wasn't just a friend, but maybe something more. This could be something real if she just talked to Sam and quit.

From what Y/n has seen so far this year, Tara didn't need anyone to watch over her. She could defend herself and that was one thing that Y/n admired about her, there were a lot of things she loved about Tara. She just loved her. There it was, the word that had popped up a lot for her recently.

Love.

The question though is in what way did she mean it? That's what she was trying to figure out. The group had arrived at their destination, Kane tipped the driver before getting out of the car and then gave him five stars on the app they had used. "Welcome home, everyone," Kane spoke with a smile and helped carry everything into the house.

"My children are home!" Their mother, Elena, spoke excitedly as she walked out of the kitchen. She practically ran toward her daughters, quick to pull them into a hug. "I'm so happy to have you home. Frank, our kids are home!" She yelled up to their father, he was most likely solving another one of his puzzles.

Frank had made his way downstairs and waved at his daughters with a grin. "Welcome home children." He spoke before hugging them both. While the family had a little reunion, Kane took it upon himself to take all the bags upstairs and to their respective rooms.

The family had gone to the living room to sit and catch up on each other's lives. With work and school, it was merely impossible to make time for a phone call or video chat. "Tell me about school," Elena spoke with an interested tone, she wanted to know everything.

Y/n had considered all the places where she could start, she just knew to avoid the whole Tara thing. "School has been pretty great, I made some new friends-"

"Which she is lying to." Rose interrupted. Their mother looked at her, confused by what she was saying. She didn't know what she meant. "Her friend's sister asked Y/n to become friends with her and report back every month with payment."

"Oh, Y/n!" Their mother was now shocked and upset. She never raised her daughter to be that way, especially after Y/n's past.

"Rose told me to do it!"

"Oh, Rose!" This was just the beginning but now she didn't want to hear anymore. This was too much for her to handle. "Rose, tell me about your experience so far."

Rose went on to talk about her job and her relationship, soon talking about the friends she had made at work. Elena was interested in everything she had to say. She had a lot to think about.

She had to make sense of everything.

Over the past week, Y/n had texted Tara to check in and chat about whatever they could think of. They had the occasional call or video chat too. Tara felt the need to see the smile on Y/n's face when the would say something she thought was funny but didn't laugh.