chapter nine | this needs to end

WITH Y/N'S DISCOVERY about her relationship with Tara, she knew something had to end. Her deal with Sam. Sure, the extra money was nice and everything but now, that meant nothing to her. She formed this connection with Tara and she didn't wanna jeopardize that. She liked Tara, she didn't want to hurt her.

As long as Tara knew nothing about this deal everything would be fine. She just had to talk to Sam about ending it and explain everything while hoping she doesn't say anything to Tara.

She was out to lunch with Ethan, talking over her plan for a second opinion. Anika would be here too but she's too busy having lunch somewhere else with her girlfriend, Mindy. From what they've heard, things are going great for them. "So, you finally realized that you like her huh?" Ethan asked with a teasing tone. "Now I'm the only one without a girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend yet." Y/n corrected, emphasizing yet. She wasn't going to say anything to Tara till she ended this thing with Sam, that was the main priority right now. "I gotta talk to Sam first and end this."

"Yeah, I would hurry up with that."

"What are we talking about?" Anika asked and she joined her friends, soon taking a seat next to Ethan. From that point, he explained the entire conversation to her and helped her get caught up on the plan.

"So long story short, she's picking happiness over money and ending this deal." He finished his explanation and then took a sip of his drink. Y/n nodded with confirmation and grinned.

"I'm shocked it took you this long." She spoke and turned toward Y/n. Honestly, Y/n was too but she never said it.

"Anyway, here's what I'm thinking." Y/n started and then went on to talk about what she was gonna do. She was gonna find Sam during one of her breaks and break the news to her, hoping that she understands and won't do anything to make Tara hate her. That's what mattered the most here, Tara. It'll always be her.

After dealing with Sam, she then had to find the perfect time to talk to Tara. She needed to plan the perfect date. What would the perfect date be?

Could it be something to do with horror movies? Maybe dinner? No, she wanted to be creative, she wanted it to be special. She just had to figure out how to do that. She had to consider everything that she's learned about Tara and use it to her advantage. She'll also need some help.

Maybe she'll call her new friend, Kane.

After waiting for a few days, she had to report back to Sam. The difference this time is that it's not a report, it's quitting. She waited outside the store where Sam worked for her lunch break, which is in a few minutes. She already thought about everything she was gonna say and she thought of many different ways this could go down in her head.

She was ready for anything. That was something she learned from her sister.

After checking her phone, she saw that it was now time for Sam's break. She took a breath and then made her way inside the small store. She looked for Sam as she made her way toward the back, that's where her favorite snacks were. Tara's were there too. She kept a mental note of that for later. It'll be useful information for the future, maybe even for date night.

If there even is one that is.

As she approached Sam, she turned to smile at her and then grabbed a bag of chips. "What information do you have for me today, Y/n?" Sam asked curiously and then walked towards the coolers near the front for a bottle of water.

"I'm quitting," Y/n replied confidently, her reason gave her enough confidence she needed to get it done. Sam gave her a look like she was looking for an explanation, her face had a look of confusion written on it. She knew something like this would happen. "I've formed feelings for Tara and I don't want to hurt her and what we're doing here will hurt her."

She nodded and then grabbed her drink before going to the self-checkout to pay. Y/n wasn't sure what she was thinking, her face wasn't helping to give any hints. "I'm shocked you're the one to cave in first," Sam admitted and then opened the chip bag once she paid for everything. "I for sure thought it would be Tara."

"Wait, you're not mad?"

"No, I've realized that Tara is old enough to take care of herself."

The second Y/n heard the word 'no' she smiled. She was okay to pursue a relationship with Tara, now she just had to ask her out. That was the nerve-racking part. There was always that fear of rejection, that applied to more things than this one.

"All I ask is that you don't break her heart."

"I would never do that, I promise."

"Great, now get out of here so I can finish my shift." Sam smiled and then went to finish her chips. Y/n happily left her alone, making her way back to the apartment to tell her sister about the great news.

She knew it took too long but now she had it all figured out. All the weird feelings, all the smiles, and stares, all the teasing, it all just made sense. She was gonna make a plan and hope it executes well, she wanted everything to work out perfectly. She just wanted Tara.

She hoped Tara felt the same way about her. Only one way to find out.

With Rose and Kane practically always under the same roof, finding them was always super easy. The group sat in the living room, discussing the interaction between Y/n and Sam. Like she was, both of them were shocked that Sam let her quit so easily. She knew to never accept anything like that again. From that point forward, she would get a real job and finish college to follow her dreams.

She soon discussed the thought of wanting to plan the perfect date for when she asked Tara out and she saw the light bulb light up in the couple's minds. They were quick, she didn't expect them to have ideas this fast. She didn't expect them to have ideas at all for that matter.

Or maybe they've thought about this before.

"Here's a thought, if you do the classic dinner and a movie, you can make it special by playing her favorite movie in the theater and having dinner at Kane's restaurant with her favorite food," Rose suggested, soon getting a nod from her boyfriend. It was a great idea but she realized one thing. If Rose helped her with the theater part, she could potentially be fired.

She didn't want to get her sister in trouble.

"If you're worried about the movie part, don't be," Rose reassured with a grin. Y/n wondered if she got approval ahead of time for this. She couldn't have, she didn't know about anything till today. "I'll talk to my boss." She added as if she read her sister's mind. Y/n wouldn't run it past her if she did.

"It'll be great, I can bring back that horror movie-inspired food from that one time." Kane offered with a grin.

It was all coming together, she had a plan and it didn't take very long. It sounds special too. Tara and Y/n were leaving for summer break till the first week of July, she had plenty of time to pick a day to ask Tara out. The worst she can say is no, or that's what people tell her. It could be true or she could laugh at her. She doubted Tara would do that though.

She'll talk to their friends and get their opinions, but the more she thinks about it, the more she realizes they probably won't straight up tell her. Ethan and Anika might tell her, they are her best friends after all. They love to talk about the newest gossip in the group and new interests. That's something to use to her advantage.

"Now that I have a plan, I just need to pick a day to tell her how I feel." Y/n spoke and then stood up from the couch, she had to do some last-minute research and then everything would be ready. "Thanks, guys, this helps a lot."

"No problem, that's what we're here for," Kane responded and smiled. Y/n smiled back at him and then went to her room. This could work in her favor or it could fail, depending on whichever it was, she was ready for the best and the worst. If it ever came down to the worst, she just hoped that she wouldn't lose Tara as a friend.

She hoped that wouldn't happen though.

————————
brooke speaks!

act one has one chapter left and
i'm super excited to write it!