Part 47 - Miccosukee Indian Village

Start from the beginning

We entered a hut. It was large. I noticed rolls of tarps hanging from the ceiling, presumably as drop-down walls in case of a hurricane. Several women attended a star-shaped fireplace. They were having trouble getting the fire started in the breeze.

One of the women said, "Chehuntamo. Hello and welcome. This cooking chickee was at the heart of every Miccosukee village. The star-shaped fireplace allowed several families to cook their meals at the same time."

Howard stared past her. "Hello, Chelsea."

A woman stood. Her dark hair was pulled into a bun, and she wore a long, red and yellow patchwork skirt. "You came," she said a little wistfully. Then she gave us a fake smile. "And you brought friends."

"This is Cody and Brittany," Howard said. "They come to speak to the Story Keeper."

"I see," Chelsea said, her face stiff. "Let us go somewhere more private."

She left the cooking chickee and strode briskly away. She must've worn moccasins, because her feet didn't make scuffing sounds like our shoes.

The next hut had a table and chairs. As soon as we were inside, Chelsea rounded on Howard. "So, this is your trade-off?" she hissed. "You'll sign the papers if I speak to your friends?"

"Give me your papers." He sat at the table.

She pulled a packet from her pocket and handed it to him. Howard signed in several places marked with red stickies. When he finished, he looked anguished. "Chelsea, I never wanted this."

"I know," she murmured. "I need to be with my own." Silence fell between them. Then she added, "He's here."

Howard nodded. "I saw him." He climbed to his feet, and then looked at me. "I'll wait outside."

Chelsea folded the papers and pocketed them. She sniffled, avoiding our eyes. "Please sit. I am the Story Keeper. A Story Keeper is a tribal historian who memorizes oral stories of all that happened before. I carry the wisdom of our forbearers, which I recite during celebrations and ceremonies. If you'll just bear with me for a moment, I will pray."

She sat at the head of the table and closed her eyes. Brittany looked at me as if to ask if we were doing the right thing. I shrugged and chose a seat.

"Creator, it is I," Chelsea said in a soft voice. "Thank you for today's sunrise, for the breath within me, and for your countless creations. As the day begins, I ask Spirit Keeper of the East, Brother Eagle, be with me. Guide my step. Give me courage to walk the circle of my life. Spirit Keeper of the South, Wolf, be with me. Help me remember love and compassion for all mankind. Spirit Keeper of the West, Brown Bear, be with me. Bring healing to the people I love and to myself. Spirit Keeper of the North, White Buffalo, be with me. As each day passes help me to surrender the things of my youth."

I figured it was the Indian equivalent of help me to accept that which I cannot change. I took Brittany's hand, and we waited until the Story Keeper focused on us.

"I will begin with the Joining of Two Nations," Chelsea said. "The Seminole and Miccosukee."

Brittany said, "If you don't mind, we have specific things we'd like to ask."

"And we're kind of in a hurry," I said. "Can you make them short stories?"

Chelsea gave a small smile. She was really pretty. I could tell why Howard was attracted to her. She spread her hands. "Ask away."

"We'd like to know your folklore about shape changing," Brittany said.

"We have many such stories. A medicine man could turn into any animal he chose by using a hide belt."