Chapter 2

Peter

I slowly opened my eyes, the sun peaking through the curtains. It was Saturday and MJ was already up and out of bed. I sat up, fully naked. Looking on the floor and through the doorway, I could see pieces of clothing from the couch leading up to the bed.

"Oh Lord." I gulped. That really happened? I thought.

Shaking my head, I cover my area and rush over to the closet. I grabbed an outfit and changed quickly. Being Spider-Man for eight years teaches you how to change clothes within seconds.

I entered the kitchen and made myself some breakfast. Eggs and bacon with coffee. I know, basic. Just because I'm a superhero doesn't mean I can't have a normal morning.

There was a knock on the door. "Come in!" I hollered.

Miles unlocked the door with the key MJ and I had given him weeks ago. He came in, sounding exhausted. "Last night was boring- Whoa."

My eyes went wide as I had forgotten the scene MJ and I have left behind from last night. "Oh God! I'm sorry, you shouldn't have seen that!"

I stood up and grabbed all the pieces of clothing and tossed them into our bedroom.

Shaking his head, he raised his arms as if it didn't bother him. "It's fine, I was just surprised. I didn't know you all did that... Stuff."

"We usually don't." I shrugged. "Anyways, what's up?"

Miles looked at the couch for a few seconds before he made up his mind to sit in the chair. I sat on the couch with a small smirk.

"Um, so nothing happened. At all. I called Yuri multiple times. She said there was nothing on the radios. No reportings. She said it was like the City was asleep. Completely." Miles looked worried.

"Huh, that is weird. Did you spot anything suspicious on patrol though? Any weird groups forming quietly?"

"No," Miles shook his head. "Nothing! It got to the point where I ended up falling asleep on a rooftop."

"Well, something is going on." I leaned forward. "I can feel it."

"Me too." Miles looked up to meet my eyes. "It's not a good feeling Pete."

"I know." Peter stood up, looking at his Spidey watch. "Well let's get out and go swing around the city. It's not normal to have a ton of crimes yesterday, but none at all during the night. We have to look harder, see if we can find anything developing under our noses."

"Agreed." Miles stood up. He, again, looked at the couch and then back at the bedroom where the door was still open. "Did you... Use protection at least?"

"Miles," I replied, slightly with a tone.

He raised his arms up in defense. "Look, you don't need another super powered human running around when I'm still technically in training."

"No, we're fine. Nothing is gonna happen. Don't worry about it." I replied and waved at the window. "C'mon Spidey. Let's go."

Miles chuckled and opened the window. Before we left the apartment, we both undressed and raced to see who can change into our suits quicker. I won again.

"So unfair. You have eight years on me." Miles shook his head.

I shrugged. "My spider was made before yours."

With that, we both jumped out of the window and head for the Chrysler building. We didn't need a high place, but not a low one either.

Somewhere where Miles and I can safely perch and be on the lookout.

"So, I thought you had a job?" Miles mentioned, fiddling with his hands. It seemed his suit was bothering him between the fingers.

I looked out into the city. "Yes, but that's on my own time. As long as I get my part done before papers are printed."

"Interesting," Miles went back into Spidey mode and looked out for anything and everything.

"If only Yuri didn't go rogue after the whole Hammerhead catastrophe." I sighed.

"Where is she?" Miles asked.

"No one knows. She just went rogue after Hammerhead took out her men."

"Who's the new captain?"

"Some guy with the name of Stacy." I looked at the nearest police precinct. "He's not a fan of Spider-Man. I already tried to team up with him like I had with Yuri. Now I'm blind in the police force."

"Guess we're on our own." Miles mentioned but gasped right after. "Wait! Ganke and I can hack into the police precincts all over the city, we'll hear what they hear."

"I don't want to hear... everything... just the important crime fighting stuff." I nodded to myself. "If I have to safe a cat from a tree one more time, I will go crazy."

"Ganke can code it to pick out which alerts are most important and it can pick out the crimes too." Miles crossed his arms over his chest.

My watched buzzed and I looked down. A text from MJ.

MJ: Hey! Got the job! The man is amazing and so incredibly smart! He wants me to start tomorrow! Isn't that exciting, Pete? Anyways, there's also a few perks that come with the job that I have to tell you about later. Also John wants to meet you and Miles for dinner tonight with me. Is that okay? I told him you two were free.

I shook my head and showed Miles the watch.

"She seems really excited." Miles added.

"Yeah," I sigh, "more excited than last night."

"I wouldn't worry about it. The man is paying her over triple of what she's making at Daily Bugle."

I shook my head. "No, that's the catch. She still works at Daily Bugle. The Daily Bugle is paying her to work for John. John is also paying her to work for him. She getting paid by two places for the same job."

"Oh, and why do you seem defensive about it? It should be a good thing." Miles looked at me as I looked down at my hands.

I didn't know that I was defensive or even jealous, but Miles could sense it. So I just shook my head and remembered what Ben had told me in the past. "Ben had said: The man should take care of his family."

"And?" Miles asked, knowing I wasn't finished.

"I have - we have - these powers, this responsibility to protect the city. It's a day and night job. It comes first, no matter what your doing, when the city needs you, you go and drop everything. But part of me wishes I could provide for MJ, you know?"

"Yeah, sometimes I wish I could help my mom with rent after Dad died. It's hard. But you're also right. We have to protect this city. No matter what, and surely MJ knows that."

I felt better after what Miles had said, and especially after he agreed and felt the same way like I did. "So, are we gonna wear our best suit?" I chuckled.

"Oh yeah, I'm thinking about going in this." Miles joked.

"Same." I replied, mentioning my suit. We both laughed and jumped down the building as we headed to our perspective homes. "I'll text you where to meet up."