97 - For Her - Chris POV

Start from the beginning

When Chris glanced at Alexa this time, he could tell she was holding back tears. He took her hand in his and gave it the lightest of squeezes, but he was surprised when she gripped it back tightly, as though it were the only tether holding her down to Earth.

"Everything else is looking pretty good. The facial abrasions as well as the few others will heal up just fine. And the stitches will come out in about a week or two." Dr. Gamble smiled and Alexa and Chris tried to smile back, but it was difficult.

"I'm going to keep you overnight for observation to make sure nothing spikes but you should be good to go tomorrow afternoon."

"Thank you, Dr. Gamble." Alexa said hoarsely.

"Yes, thank you so much." Chris stated after her.

"Absolutely," Dr. Gamble said, flipping the clipboard to the starting page. She gave Alexa's right leg a pat, "try to get some rest, okay?"

"Okay." Alexa said simply as she watched Dr. Gamble head out of her room, the door clicking shut behind her.

As soon as the click echoed through the room, Alexa started to cry.

Chris stood in an instant, pushing the chair he was sitting in back with the backs of his knees and leaned down to kiss Alexa's forehead, a stray tear fell down his own cheek before he realized it.

"I know I've said it already, but fuck, I'm so glad you're okay, Sweets." Chris said, a wobble to his chin and his words a bit softer than he expected them to be. "There was a chunk of time before getting to you that I thought—"

"I'm here," was all Alexa said her own tears sliding down her cheeks. Her words made his face crumple and he ducked into her right shoulder. "I'm here."

He looked up at her and she tried to show him a small smile. He nodded as she reached up with her right hand to cup his cheek and wipe away the tear lingering there. Chris sighed after a long moment and rested his hand on top of hers that was still on his cheek.

"Being down and out for six weeks is better than a lot of other things that could've happened." Chris whispered.

Alexa nodded slowly in agreement, her tears waning, but then her brow furrowed carefully, "I just wish..."

"What, baby?" Chris asked, waiting for her to reply.

"I can't remember...if the walk signal was on...or not. I barely remember...any thing that happened before...—" Alexa's words drifted off but Chris understood.

"I don't honestly know, I just saw the car going way too fucking fast for a New York street and then saw you in front of him and I just...started running for you."

Chris continued, "There's gotta be cameras on the street though. There's definitely a bank on that block. We'll find out sooner or later."

"Yeah..." Alexa said with a follow up yawn that she looked to be fighting off.

"Why don't you catch some sleep? Hmm? I'll be right here when you wake up."

Alexa nodded sleepily with no contest, as Chris kissed her once more, and she closed her eyes.

——————————

Once Alexa had drifted to sleep, Chris took out his phone to check the slew of messages he had received over the last few hours and never answered.

Megan
How is Alexa?
How are YOU?
Call me when you get a chance dear.

Sebastian
We're here if you need anything brother.
Love you guys