Chapter 1

I'm Kath.

A simple girl from the high mountains of Benguet. Unlike the many days I join my parents in our farm to water, plant and harvest. Today is different. I am now 16 with a full-paid scholarship in Manila. Instead of walking past the silky road to water my crops, I'm walking down the pavements of a huge airport to present my passport. It's amazing how one province girl's dream is fulfilled by hard work and a scholarship.

I'm ignorant about everything techy and modern. I've lived in the province all my life and everything has to be made from scratch. We are the ones who mold things and ingredients from scratch for all the urban dwellers in the City. It's ironic how I am now an urban dweller overnight. With no one to relate with the struggle of living in the province, I am certain to have my own back as I embark this journey.

I expected people to judge me for my appearance. I'm wearing a silk dress from my mother's ancestral sewing machine for "good luck." It's all in the little things they say. The little beliefs and practices that lead to what is known as good luck. But sometimes to contemplate this, good luck has always been my bad luck, but not today. People smiled at me as I pushed my cart down the luggage hall. I thought people wouldn't accept where I come from, but there are more nice people here in the world after all.

The guy in the counter asked for our passports, stamped each of our tickets unknowingly. It would be a dream to end up working in an airport with all these multicultural people. "Hey there. You must be Kathryn Bernardo." He greets.

I nodded. " Yeah. You know my name?"

"Well yes, our boss who sponsored your flight mentioned how we should treat you with care at all times. You're the first traveler from Benguet we had for decades." He smiled.

I couldn't help but shed a tear. A flight outside Benguet costs a year of harvest which is is like risking our annual income. I smiled at the man and left the premises overwhelmed.

If you are scared of an airplane's take off then I still have to find it out myself.

The airplane's sofa chairs made me feel comfort for the first time in my life. The cushions are just so soft and everything here is soft unlike the rough spaces of my home. Everything around me felt so new and that's what no one knew. 

The flight attendant in front of us gave her speech and now we are ready for take off. While the plane moved excessively, I felt an inner jolt of panic. It is definitely not the same panic I feel when I accidentally let go of a coconut.

Everyone seemed ready and used to it that no one gave a fuss. I wanted to scream but my inner shame wouldn't let me, so I definitely screamed internally. "Gahhhhhhh!" My mind screamed.

Everything became stable as the airplane traveled above the troposphere. I didn't fear the height at all nor the feeling anymore. I then mirrored the old man in front of me as he got a newspaper and a cup of coffee.

I am glad to say I fear not airplanes and it's awesome in the long run.