Time Is Motionless

It was evening, and everyone had settled down for dinner. Lining the grand tables and chattering away without a care in the world other than the looming exams around the corner but that didn't stop them from smiling and having fun, except for a few Ravenclaws and of course, Hermione. She was absolutely hysterical about studying for them. Ron was quite sick of hearing her go on about it.

At the peak of the laughter, everything fell silent in an instant, movement stopped, and candlelight ceased to flicker but still held its warmth and light.

Out of the stillness, a boy in his fifth year slowly lowers the hand that was about to put food in his mouth, gently resting it on the table, not sure how to react to the sudden situation. His eyes dart around, not comprehending what is happening. Confusion latched onto his features as he grabbed Hermoine's hand, trying to get her attention because words were useless. Everyone was frozen stiff, not a single batter of an eye moved. Ron had his fork half in his mouth, food hung still from the prongs. A glass that Seamus knocked was on its way to spill its contents but couldn't continue to the floor as it's now frozen in the air, a few drops had almost reached their destination.

The hall doors swing open but no sound accompanies the sudden motion. A tall blonde came crashing into the dining room, panic-stricken. Frantically, he looked around as if he couldn't believe his eyes, "What have I done?" Whispered words fell into the silence.

Harry stood, still unnoticed by the Slytherin but not for long, "Malfoy?" He voiced, looking at the huffing and puffing blonde, wondering what is going on.

The sound of another startled Draco, he thought he was completely alone in this mishap of his own doing, "Potter?" His face is full of surprise as he eyes the Gryfindor, "How are you unaffected?"

"Unaffected? What is going on?" Harry questioned, desperately wanting an answer, anything to help him understand the situation, was the school under an attack? Everyone and everything had suddenly stopped moving... That's the only explanation his brain could currently think of.

"It's none of your business Potter, I will figure this out on my own!" Draco snapped but his voice and body betrayed his words. His body shaking, not under his control anymore as the dread of the situation filled his mind. He doesn't know where to begin, he doesn't know what to do. What was that thing he touched?

"It's obviously my business! Look at my friends! Tell me what's going on!" Harry yelled across the hall, his voice loud but not echoing.

"I- I..." Draco turned, running down the corridor, not knowing how to explain to Potter, and definitely not wanting to be told off by a Gryffindor, especially Harry bloody Potter. That would just be the absolute worst.

"Malfoy!" Harry shouted before quickly making chase, running after the Slytherin which clearly held answers to their current predicament. Passing a few students on the way, they too were frozen stiff, the same as everyone else. Harry couldn't fathom what kind of spell has enveloped Hogwarts or who might have cast such a powerful one.

"Stop, Malfoy!" Harry reached a hand far in front, grabbing the sleeve of the Slytherin, and pulling him around to face him, "What is going on?" He asked once more, "You need to tell me." He fixed his grip, holding Draco's wrist, fingers wrapping perfectly around.

"I don't!" Draco tried to remove Harry's hand, but it held tight, it wasn't going to let go until he got an answer.

His glasses had slightly slid off his face due to the little run down the corridor, making Malfoy the tiniest bit blurry as he stared hard into silver eyes, "You do! I can help," Harry said firmly, trying hard to get Draco to let him help.

"I don't need help from a stupid Gryffindor!" Draco exclaimed.

"Oh, shut it Malfoy," Harry rolled his eyes, "This situation looks like you'll need help, so just tell me!"

"Geez, you are as annoying as ever, Potter. Let me go and I'll tell you, but it's not like your stupid Gryffindor brain would understand," Said Draco in an eye-rolling tone.

"Try me."

Hesitation lingered on Draco's breath, do I really have to tell the annoying Gryffindor? He knew that help wouldn't be a bad idea but did it have to be Potter? Draco thought before he finally spoke, "I found this device in the room of requirements... It looked like a time-turner, so I took it." Draco paused, averting his eyes from Harry's burning gaze before continuing, "Earlier, before all this, I was examining it and suddenly it started to make a weird clicking noise, it started to get hot causing me to drop it but as it hit the floor, sparks started to fly and before I knew it, it had disappeared, and everyone was like this... It's not my fault!" Draco quickly added, seeing the look on Potter's face.

"It seems to be your fault..." Harry was at a loss for words. Maybe this was over his head after all, if only Hermione was the one unaffected... "So, what was that device?" Harry questioned, finding something to say.

"I don't know, I hadn't gotten the chance to look at it for long," Draco said, realizing Potter hadn't let go of his arm, he tugged it away and Harry's warmth left with his touch.

"We should look for information in the library," Harry posed the suggestion.

"Like I didn't think of that! And what do you mean by 'we'?" Draco looked at the Gryffindor, clearly letting confusion be shown on his face, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, Malfoy, we. I'm going to look through books as well."

"How are you going to help? You don't even know what the device looks like and I am very capable of looking through books on my own." Draco said in a huff.

"Well, I'd like to unfreeze my friends this decade, thank you very much, you'll be going through books forever." Harry sassily said. "You can just draw up a sketch of that device thing for me." Harry continued as he started toward the library.

"Just great, why did it have to be him that way unaffected? It literally could have been anyone else... Oh, well, at least it's not that Weasely." Draco mumbled as he too made his way to the room with all the books.