The place at least had birds; some swallows flew over the lakes and you noticed a good amount of meadow clover growing around, coming down to pick some. That was, in every way, exactly what you'd expect from this race. Taking risky shortcuts, picking herbs, resting and selling your products while admiring beautiful prairies. You forced yourself not to think about what had happened the last night and focused only on the present, going to check that the cat was still inside your wagon.

As expected, it was. But it looked so much more settled as if it were at home. Lying on one of your shelves, having knocked over a few pots.

''Are you going to stay here? Don't you remember the punch I gave you yesterday?''

The animal meowed as if it had answered, and you laughed.

''Fine...you can stay there, but only if you keep the rats away from my stuff!''

The cat meowed again, and you laughed again. You approach the animal and stroke its cheeks with both hands.

''God, how dare someone transform such a cute little thing into a dinosaur?''

The cat meowed again, this time twice. Four meows were enough for it to convince you. For a moment you were almost overcome by the urge to give it a name.

Your mother had always loved cats, so much so that she never hesitated to bring them into the house when she saw one. But during part of your childhood, you didn't even have a home. Your lifestyle from the age of five to twelve was similar to today: you slept with your mother in her wagon that was pulled by a sorrel.

As far as you knew, your mother was your only living relative. A single, pregnant woman who lived a completely nomadic lifestyle had no chance of awakening her maternal instincts. In the first months of your life, she had intended to leave you in the care of a friend but quickly discarded that idea.

When you turned five, she wanted to enroll you in some kind of girls' boarding school. However, you strictly refused to go.

Faced with the necessity of removing your pudgy fingers that clutched the earth and dragging you by your heels up the dusty boarding school stairs, your mother, who abhorred personal conflicts of any kind, gave an exasperated sigh, then shrugged her shoulders and threw that sensible decision out the window, along with her straw hat.

''Merda!'' You clearly remember your mother curse, turn around and see the hat flying away happily. ''I always hated these women's hats anyway.''

You also vividly remember the stern, motherly look she gave you after you had embarrassed yourself so badly by crying in front of the mean women at boarding school.

''One thing... You can't play with my tools, got it? And not every plant I pick can be eaten. Do anything but that, okay?''

You nodded happily and went with her to Colombia, to Argentina, to dozens of countries across the continent. You learned to read and write from your mother's old sketches and some old books you picked up along the way. You also learned to decipher treasure maps, dig latrines, gather and prepare herbs, shoot, hunt, and countless other things that weren't appropriate for a young lady. You also learned never to trust a man, and that was a lesson your mother considered crucial. In all those years, you never saw her fall in love or date a man - considering that the last time she did, it ended in a mess named (Y/N).

Of all the things you learned from your mother, however, one was missing: how to train a stubborn and disrespectful mule that refuses to pull your wagon for no apparent reason.

''Come on, Cadichon! We're almost halfway there, we can't stop now! I already gave you all my amaranth!'' You begged, dodging a few head butts from the mule.

''Have you checked your mule's hooves yet?'' You jumped up, startled when you heard a male voice with a familiar accent next to you.

With a few slips and snaps, you turned around. It was Diego. Did he find you on purpose? Your only link to sanity was the calm in this place, which was suddenly taken over by this tall, arrogant figure.

''Fuck!'' You cursed. ''What a fright, damnit! O... What are you doing here, Diego? Back off!''

You took a few steps back to look for your gun. Didn't take your eyes off him.

''Stay calm.'' He replied. ''I've no intention of hurting you, miss (S/N).''

''That's not what I asked you, idiot! This isn't the main route, what are you doing here?''

''Nothing... I just smelled coffee.'' This time his smile faded to a serious but non-threatening expression. ''Look, I'm not here to do anything to you. Let's forget about last night, okay? After all, I didn't attack you. Quite the contrary, it was you who shot me."

You stared at him for a few seconds, and he did too. The unreal atmosphere hovered like a spell at that moment, you didn't quite know what to expect. He could transform into a dinosaur at any moment, or just do a stunt and slit your throat, but right now, he didn't seem interested in anything but a little tea... and coffee.

In forfeit, you did nothing but try to look as harmless as possible.

''Yea...'' You snort and answer his first question. ''I've already checked her hooves, there are no stones as expected. Mules are much tougher than horses in many ways, that includes their diamond hard hooves.''

''I see... Anyway, do you still sell some teas?''

''Yes.'' Said hesitantly.

He shook his head in confusion and began to search in the pockets of his baggy pants. You shuddered, afraid of what he was looking for, and took a few steps back. Then he looked at you.

''Listen, I'm pretty sure I lost my wallet last night and...''

''No, nem vem!'' You interrupted him. ''I'm already being very kind not to point a gun at you again. What's your problem? Just go away!''

''Don't get me wrong!'' He tried to explain and gestured. ''I wasn't thinking of that kind of offer! Just listen to me.''

You were silent for a few seconds and then heaved a long sigh again.

''Fine... Go ahead, what do you want?''

''I've already learned your mule's habits. If you bring me the same tea you sold me in the first stage, I can make sure it won't refuse to pull your wagon anymore.''

''Did you... learned the habits of my mule? Do you really think I believe in you?''

''It's your choice. I'd just like some tea tonight, nothing more.''

You didn't know what you were waiting for. A galloping repetition of the fury and adrenaline that had accompanied the last night? Now there was nothing similar. Diego just looked like a regular runner, embarrassingly broke, with a typical British thirst and accent. Nothing more. He hasn't approached you since he saw you as if trying to appear harmless. Without realizing it, you stared at him for a long time.

There was a different glow in his eyes. Diego's sudden presence made you realize how fresh the air had become when you left the city and were on your own again, free from the constant male proximity of the runners.

Quite simply, you were afraid to speak to him. You could have stood there staring at Diego indefinitely if you hadn't been interrupted by Cadichon's senseless whinny. He was a jockey, wasn't he? Surely it wouldn't be so stupid to accept help from someone who really knew something about these things.

Even if that person is Dio.