Chapter 2

Releasing a sigh, Cale turned his head towards the window where the sun was slowly rising while the butlers and maids did their assigned jobs diligently.

"It's been so long since I've seen smiling people...or people in general."

A bitter smile appeared on his lips as his gaze turned hazy.

He doesn't know how long he spent blankly staring outside without a thought in his mind.

He doesn't care, though.

Because all he wanted to do now was enjoy this peaceful moment, something he's long forgotten due to the twenty year war.

*Knock*

*Knock*

*Knock*

Someone knocked on the door, breaking Cale's peace which caused him to frown.

"Enter."

The door opened and an orange-haired butler appeared with a nervous look.

"Y-young master-nim, can I come in and help you change? It's almost time for breakfast."

"Come in."

The butler entered and handed Cale a potion.

"Here you go, young master-nim. The Count gave it to me and instructed me to make sure you drink it three times a day so that you'll heal quicker."

"Thank you, Hans."

Cale quickly drank the potion, hoping that the butler never noticed his cracked voice.

He couldn't help it, not after remembering how the man died just to save his sorry life.

Fortunately, Hans didn't mention it as he patiently waited for Cale to finish the potion. Once Cale handed him the empty bottle, Hans assisted Cale in entering the bathroom and waited until he was finished with his business to help dress him up in a simple white shirt and black pants. Hans made sure to grab larger clothes for Cale so that the cloth wouldn't brush against the injuries. Plus, it would make it more convenient for the healers to raise when they need to check Cale's condition. He then aided Cale to sit on his bed as the young man close his eyes, leaning on the soft pillows with a satisfied sigh.

"Hans, inform my family that I'll be dining in this room and then bring me food."

"Yes, young master-nim."

Hans bowed and quickly left, worried that the red head would raise a fuss if he was slow.

Once Cale was sure Hans left, he let out a curse.

"Damn it, I was too confident."

He opened his eyes and looked towards the body size mirror in front of his bed with a sad smile as small tears fell down his face.

"I thought I was prepared to face everyone but..."

 Cale recalled his voice cracking and his heart beating faster the moment he saw Hans - young, lively, alive Hans - and covered his face with a soft groan. 

"I can't do this."

He whispered.

"I need more time."

Suddenly, a knock was heard on the door again and Cale quickly fixed himself up, making sure he did not look like someone who was just crying seconds ago. 

It was easy for him to do so, considering he used to do it a lot as a child after his mother died and during the war where he had little to no time to mourn for his loved ones' death.

Once he was done, he cleared his throat before speaking.

"Come in."

Hans' face appeared on the threshold and he approached the bed with a cart filled with food. Once he was close enough, he stopped and grabbed a makeshift table under the cart and placed it on top of Cale's lap before placing the food on top of it. Once he was done, Cale told him to leave which Hans obeyed. 

Cale looked at the food Hans brought him and a small smile filled his face. 

There, on the table, consisted of his favorite food and drinks.

Cale let out a small refreshing laugh.

Really, no matter what version or age Hans was, he would always remain the same. He would always know what Cale feels and makes sure to give him something to brighten his day. 

With a fond sigh, Cale began eating his meal inside the quiet room, enjoying the silence and peace with his guard completely down.

Really, it felt so nice to eat without tensed muscles and worrying whether an enemy would suddenly appear to kill you. 

After thirty minutes, he finished and waited for Hans to show up which he did after a few seconds with a knock.

"Have you finished, young master-nim?"

Cale nodded and pointed at the empty plates on his lap. Hans got the cue and started taking away the plates before handing him a potion which he drank gratefully. After all, his bruises were starting to hurt a bit. Once he was done, Hans took away the bottle and left, leaving Cale alone again. After a few minutes of resting, Cale stretched a bit before sitting up with a serious look as he muttered to himself.

"The god of death told me he would send someone to help me but never specified who or where I would find them...should I go ask his church? No, they're useless, maybe I should find Cage."

He glanced outside at the sunny and lively place before nodding to himself.

"That can wait for awhile, I should go roam around the county first."

He would never admit it to anyone but he did miss the people under his family even if everyone hated him. Well, not really everyone as there were loyal people who, after the destruction of the Henituse county, determinately stated they would stay in their homes and would follow him even if he repeatedly insisted for them to leave.

Cale smiled sadly.

It was unfortunate they were insistent to follow a failure like him who wasn't able to protect them until the end.

Shaking his head to remove the bad thoughts, he stood up with a slight stagger and headed towards his wardrobe, opening the door when a piece of cloth hit him straight to the face.

"Fuck!"

Cale cursed as he almost fell but managed to regain his balance by grabbing the cabinet door. Looking up, he saw a cute little child with black hair and reddish-brown eyes looking at him warily. The two exchanged eye contact for a moment before Cale broke it.

"What the fuck? Why is there a fucking child in my closet?"

While he was trying to understand what was happening, the child looked at him with pity and...understanding?

Yeah, maybe he was still asleep and was dreaming about all of this right now. 

Why he would dream about a child in his closet? He wasn't sure but that was the only logical explanation for Cale so he closed the cabinet, went back to his bed and tried sleeping.