"Gizmos aren't typically supposed to be utilised as transportation devices within dimensions, but..." he trails off with a shrug.

  I blink at him in surprise as what he's offering sets in. A grin breaks over my face. "You're a lifesaver, Mig, thank you!"

  Miguel smiles, cheeks dark. "I'll pick you up at four-thirty."

  "Okay." I hesitate before him and the hexagonal portal beside us. This is the one part of our routine that continues to stump me, and it just keeps growing worse. I raise my hand and awkwardly pat his collar. "Have a good day."

  His smile softens. He knows exactly why I'm struggling. "You, too."

  I bite my lip and glance at the portal. I'm still hesitating. I don't even know why I'm hesitating. Miguel raises his brows and tilts his head, waiting.

  "I really need to go," I say.

  "You do," he agrees.

  "Yeah," I breathe, and take a step towards the portal. "... see ya."

I'm one foot in when Miguel says my name. I turn back. He's smirking, deeply amused. "Forgetting something?"

My mind races before abruptly turning blank, and then switching back on to freak out some more. What was he after? A peck on the cheek? A hug? A 'thank you'? A kiss?

Miguel holds out my bag.

"Oh." My voice comes out strangled, frazzled. Alarmed by the turn my own brain took, I grab my bag with burning cheeks. "Thanks."

His smile grows. I quickly turn to face the portal.

"I'll see you at four-thirty," he says. I falter, nod, and then quickly step into the portal.

After a brief sense of weightlessness and closing my eyes tight against the rush of bright colour, I stumble onto solid ground in the alleyway beside the Daily Bugle.

I take a moment to hold my face in mortification. Then, I straighten my jacket, clear my throat, and march into work with my cheeks still blushing.

••🕷️••

Miguel and Rosalina roll up at four-thirty on the dot. The car eases into a park right outside the Daily Bugle's entrance and I rush through the cold to hop inside shotgun.

  "Hey," Miguel greets as I drop my bag at my feet.

  "Hi," I reply, and pull the seatbelt across my chest. The heater's on full blast and I sigh with relief. I am so beyond tired.

  Rosalina excitedly throws her upper body over the dash and thrusts a brown paper bag at me. She grins when I take it, briefly surprised.

  "Dad and I had afternoon tea and got you a muffin!" she exclaims. "It's your favourite!"

My bad mood immediately evaporates. I take the bag with a smile.

"Aw! Thank you, baby." I kiss her cheek. "You're my favourite daughter."

"I'm your only daughter!" she giggles.

"Really?" I gasp. Her amusement skyrockets, laughter filling the car, and I snicker. Miguel smiles at her reflection in the rearview mirror.

"Seatbelt on, Rosita," he reminds. Still shaking with the giggles, Rosa sits back in her seat and clicks her belt into place. Miguel pulls the car out of the park and back into the streets, navigating slowly through Queen's rush hour traffic. "How was work?"