Ch 13. Angels and Tombs and Island Rooms.

Dani sat on HMS Pogue, silent as she listened to the chirping of crickets, cicadas, frogs, and other types of wildlife which lived on the water's edge. John B lay across the boat's cushioned benches. JJ, Pope, and Kie stood along the dock, on the ramp to John B's fishing perch. JJ leaned against the railing at the top, a fishing line dangling gently in the water. The three friends talked quietly as JJ fished.

"He deserved it, right?"

"Are you joking? Of course, he deserved it." Kiara answered with an even tone matched by an uncertain face.

"I've never seen anyone blow themselves up like that," Pope replied, partially unaware of the gnarly truth he displayed.

JJ smirked half-heartedly, "Cross that one of the bucket list."

"JJ."

At Kiara's scolding, JJ dropped his head like a beat puppy, "Sucks for Sarah."

Kie came to sit down beside John B's resting place on the boat, "Are you okay?" she placed a gentle hand on his back.

"It's not me I'm worried about."

Dani knew John B was referring to Sarah, however, she couldn't help but wonder if John B had actually communicated his worry with the girl. The last Dani had seen of the two of them together was John B simply ignoring his girlfriend as she broke down upon her father's sudden death and clear admission of guilt. Dani didn't really know how healthy relationships worked, but she was sure that their lack of communication would not be a helpful factor.

Dani stood up quickly, "Hey um, I'm gonna go home and shower. See if Mr and Mrs C need help for a little while and then I'll be back tonight. I'll see you later."

The crew said their goodbyes and Dani was on her way. It was true, everything she told the pogues, but she also knew that she needed to talk to Sarah. The Camerons were like her second family, she needed to be there for them, well maybe not Rafe, but Rose, Wheezie, and Sarah were her family. Besides, Dani had been friends with Sarah long enough to read the expressions on her friend's face, she knew John B's reaction on the dock was bound to have consequences, but maybe Dani could say something, whether it be in John B's favor or even just encouragement.

Dani returned to the Chateau later that night, a bit exhausted from her day. She had tried to reach Sarah multiple times and yet never succeeded, so in her blunder she really did go home to shower and then picked up some hours at the Wreck. Dani had stayed relatively quiet throughout the day, working hard and ignoring the truths staring her in the face.

By the time Dani arrived, the evening sky made itself known, with a pleasant chill in the air and a dark blanket hugging the island tight. Dani made her way to where Pope and John B were laying on the dock.

The boys didn't even look up, greeting Dani with blind faith, "Hey Dani."

"Hey boys," Dani plopped down between them, "You both look incredibly sad, girl troubles? I can probably help."

John B closed his eyes briefly, "Sarah broke up with me."

Dani placed her hand on John B's shoulder, swallowing the guilt she felt about things she had literally zero control over.

"I really am sorry John B. I know you love her and she loves you, but... sometimes life just gets in the way."

"I don't get it. I don't."

Pope stared straight at the sky, "Love is five minutes of pleasure for a lifetime of pain."

John B scrunched his eyebrows, "Wow."