Ch 7. Why is Fun Always Ruined by Meaningless Danger?

It was morning before the pogue friends made it back to their part of the island. The morning sun shone a misty haze over the marsh as they directed themselves toward John B's home, the glorious, iconic Chateau.

JJ's glance fluttered over the calm grass and water they passed through, "Anybody else starving? We need to grab some sort of breakfast."

Sarah rolled her eyes at the boy, teasing him as she spoke, "We're gonna find some food."

The teens were close to the Chateau, but not quite there yet, stopping at a deserted dock to stretch their sea legs. They walked around an overgrown yard, taking in the glorious sights of their island.

Kie crouched in the overgrown greenery, looking at something. She then stood, holding a large melon above her head proudly, "Ugh. Jackpot!"

Kiara brought the beautiful watermelon over to where Sarah and Dani were standing, dropping it on the ground so it would crack. At the sight of juicy, ripe, and red, the three girls collapsed in a fit of smiles and giggles. They sat and watched their guy friends in the distance, unashamedly eating the fruit with their bare hands.

"Mmm. Holy shit," Sarah exclaimed, the sweetness of the fruit fueling her.

Kie looked over at her once-missing friend, immediately resuming the conversation. "Okay, so you really got married?"

Sarah let a shy smile cross her lips, her eyes were still focused on the melon in her lap as she replied, "It wasn't exactly legal, but..."

Kiara and Dani nodded in response, their understanding evident in the smiles they gave Sarah in return.

Sarah's smile cracked full, glad to see that her friends accepted her fully. Her voice was a little stronger as she spoke again, "Yeah."

They continued to eat the watermelon, admiring the glimmering water from where they sat. The sun had finally risen above the hazy horizon, taking its misty blanket with it.

After a beat of blissful silence, Sarah, who was sitting in between the two brunette girls, gave Kiara a slight nudge. "Am I crazy, or is there definitely something going on between you and Pope?"

Kie's face dropped slightly in embarrassment. "Maybe you should ask Dani about JJ," she quipped, trying to deflect the attention.

Dani gave a sarcastic chuckle, attempting to hide her anxiety. Kie's words had big implications. "Yeah, sure, me and JJ. No, because that totally makes more sense than Kie and Pope, who do absolutely have a thing going on by the way. You should've seen them the day you disap..."

Kiara cut Dani off by sticking a piece of watermelon in her friend's mouth. Dani's own counter-deflection had worked perfectly.

Sarah laughed at both of her friends, "That's not a no."

Kie sighed, a smile tugging at her lips, completely giving her away. "It's not a no."

Sarah laughed again, her head falling back, "Girl."

Dani raised a piece of melon, "To falling in love, wild adventures, and those best friends who are the definition of home."

Sarah and Kie joined in Dani's sentiment, raising their own pieces of fruit as if they were glasses of bubbling champagne. They chomped down of the melon aggressively, having fun in mockery and being silly. Dani lay her head on Sarah's shoulder, showing that even in her giggles and jokes she was simply glad to have her friend home. Kie followed suit, laying her head gently on Sarah's other shoulder. Sarah brought her hands to each of her friends, squeezing them tightly. It was a tender moment, full of love and friendship. They were home.