02 - Garrett

The next morning when I got to school Anastasia wasn't there, If I'm being honest I do want to get to know her more, she's the only person who has ever met my academic skills. There's something about this girl, her smile, the real smile, her laugh, personality, everything. When you are someone who doesnt have a good home life and is struggling deeply, you learn how to spot others like you too. I saw Anastasia's thighs, when she draws on them I saw her scars. I want to talk to her but im slowly dying, im getting drained and I dont know how much longer I can hold. It was now 3rd period and she still wasn't here, she hasn't missed a day all year. Our teachers gave me her homework and after school I was standing in front of her front door. I knocked and her sister answered "hello?" "Hey is Anastasia home?" "When is she out?" She laughed and I smiled "can I see her?" She thinks for a second "well, I dont know you." "Im Garrett Holloway, im 17 and I play soccer." She smiles "Im Elenor, im 14 and I do gymnastics." I smile "nice to meet you Elenor, may I see your sister?" "She's in her room, come in I will show you. Beware, she's in a mood." She shut the door and grabbed my hand and brought me upstairs and opened her sisters door and pushed me in "bye Garrett!" "Bye Elenor" she shut the door and walked away. Anastasia looked at me "why Garrett?" "What?" "Why are you here?" I walked closer to her showed her her homework "you missed school, why?" "Because I didnt want to be" "Anastasia what happened?" "Dont talk to me like we are friends Holloway." "But I want to be your friend." "Too bad." She's not mad, she's annoyed and stressed "Anastasia please" "I dont want you here." I set her homework on her desk along with my number and the national suicide helpline. I left and her little sister was outside the door "Hey Garrett, when are you coming back over?" I look at her confused "im not sure, why?" "Well you seem cool and whenever her friends mention your name she smiles." "Hm well thank you Ellie, can I call you that?" "Yeah" "okay, well ill see you soon okay?" "Okay! Bye" instead of driving home I texted Adelaide, one of our mutual friends and I asked what kind of things Anastasia likes, I drove to target and put together a basket of things she likes, she likes food, art, drawling, dancing, books and blankets. I paid then drove home, my dad was sober and making dinner "Gar I made pasta!""that smells good! Thanks dad ill be up in a few. I brought the bags to my room and went upstairs to eat dinner with my dad. I cleaned up then went to bed, the next morning I showered and got ready for school then put the basket in my car and left. When I got there Anastasia was back I left the basket in my car and went inside and went to class and sat down next to her, she was upset "I have a gift for you" I whispered "that sounded sexual" "Anastasia." "We aren't friends Holloway." "Your the one fighting me" she rolls her eyes and lifts her sleeves off her arms and I quickly take my hoodie off and hand it to her "put this on and take your shirt off." "What?" "Im not stupid Anastasia, the hoodie is going to be big on you so its not going to bother your arms." She put my hoodie on and took her shirt off under it and stuffed it in her book bag. "How did you-" "I have my battles too." The rest of the class we didnt talk. After school i drove to her house and Elenor answered "hey Garrett!" "Hey elle, is she in her room?" "Yep" "thanks." I have the basket in my hands and I walk to her room and knocked "come in" I walked in and shut the door she was In my hood and shorts and I set the basket on her bed "hey Garrett" "I told you I had a gift for you" she looked at all the stuff then looked at me "why did you do this for me?" "Because I felt like it" she got up and wrapped her arms around my neck, hugging me. I didnt touch her. "You can touch me im not going to break." She mumbled into my shoulder, my arms wrapped around her waist, "dont let me go." "Im not going too. Trust me." We both needed that, we stayed like that for a few minutes and she pulled away, "thank you really." "Anytime." "Il bring you your hoodie tomorrow, is that okay?" "Dont, you can keep it. It looks better on you." "Really?" "Yeah." "Okay, thank you" I went home and ate dinner, I was doing homework and my phone went off "thanks again." "Of course stas." I texted back assuming it was her.