07 | it's simple, but not easy

Start from the beginning

but in no time, our interviewer greeted us and led us to a room that looked ready and set for filming. there was a grey background with two chairs behind a camera and one chair beside it. there was a poster of our film that was standing on a black metal easel next to one of our chairs. leo and i glared at each other then sat down. i could tell by his face that he was a bit tense as well.

the first few questions were easy to answer. most of the time it ranged from, how fun was it to work with each other again? to, how did you successfully play two characters who basically hated each other?

leo and i took turns answering the questions. when he had something to say, he gave me a chance to add on to it, and as did i. i absolutely admired how we were both respectful to each other and allowed each other to talk. i always found it absurd when other actors don't do the same thing.

"i think it was definitely hard fighting and yelling at each other all the time. but i remember the first time we had to do a fight scene, the minute one of the directors yelled cut, we just snapped out of character like nothing ever happened." leo explained, while i nodded my head.

"yeah, leo's character would be this mess of a man. he's such a good actor that i forget it's not real, but once our scene is over i remember who i'm really working with."

we smile at each other.

the interviewer watched us intently and jotted a few things down before she began her next question.

she cleared her throat.

"how is it like for you guys? working together again for the first time since the filming of titanic?"

this time, i started first. "well, i think i can speak for the both of us when i say it's easier now than before. we have so much more experience to look off of, and given that we've worked together before, it was easier for me to go with the flow and just...follow the rhythm of the room."

"kate said it perfectly. even though our characters are completely different with separate stories and backgrounds this time around, it was still by far the easiest acting i've ever had to do."

"how do you think working together affected your friendship? how is it different from your friendship back in the 90's?"

"kate's always been one of my best friends, but we're closer now than ever."

"he's always been the best."

that was the question that began the outrage that summed up the rest of the interview. normally these kinds of interviews last thirty minutes at most. though we were quick to respond, she asked all sorts of questions that prolonged our stay, but the first question that started my fury happened completely unexpectedly and out of the blue.

"you've probably seen the speculation about your personal life. can i ask if the photos we've seen from these past few days mean anything?"

immediately, i look at leo, who was already eyeing me. my mouth was completely ajar. my heart started to race. this was exactly the kind of question i wanted to avoid from the get go.

i cleared my throat. "uh, shouldn't you be asking us questions about the movie?"

leo backed me up on that.

"yeah, i don't think this is appropriate."

the woman showed no expression of concern. "kate, a few months ago, your divorce with your husband sam mendez was announced. can you at least confirm or deny the rumors?"

i was completely taken aback, unsure of what to say or do. i stood still for a few seconds, hearing leo's voice that mimicked disgust and rage.

"whoa, whoa, whoa. you're crossing the line, now." he moved to the front of his seat, and his voice raised like he was about to snap. getting a hold of myself, i moved my hand toward his chest to prevent him from doing anything else.