three

EVELYN WOKE UP with a pounding headache. The girl immediately reached for the water bottle she kept on her bedside table at all times, but quickly grew confused when her hand only slammed down on a cold surface. She swiftly opened her eyes and sat up, looking around with a groan and furrowed brows. She was sitting in the middle of her hallway.

As she rubbed her hand against her forehead in a poor attempt to ease the pounding pain, she tried to recount the events that had led to the moment she decided to call it a night halfway towards her bedroom door. George's party. The man on the sofa. The drink. The next drink. The drinks after that. For her, most of it was a blur.

She faintly remembered calling a taxi and being led to the car by Arthur. She remembered, ever so clearly, the strange feeling that arose as his hand brushed against the small of her back. She remembered the way he leant through the passenger side window and told the driver where to go. She remembered the way he asked her time and time again if she'd be okay. She remembered the way he was adamant on her sending George a text telling him she was safe as soon as she got home. Still, then, as she sat in her apartment hallway, she remembered every single bit of those five minutes.

She checked her phone, looking at the top righthand corner to see it struggling to maintain a steady fourteen percent. With a tired and irritated sigh, she forced herself up and slowly trudged towards her kitchen to charge her phone.

She looked at the mixture of letters she'd sent George at two in the morning that had meant to say she was home safe. He'd replied with a thumbs up, nothing too much, nothing too little. It clearly signified that George had been the one to respond and not somebody else on his phone. He texted like a grandpa.

The first thing Evelyn did was call Leona while she filled up a glass of water, the cup being finished before her friend even answered the phone.

"Good morning, Sunshine," Leona laughed into the phone, the sounds of talking and laughing sounding in the background. "I'm at work right now. I've got five minutes left on my break so you better tell me what happened last night, and quick. But please, use details."