~47~ Christmas at St. Mungo's

Start from the beginning

"Do you mean to tell me," said Mrs. Weasley, her voice growing louder with every word and apparently unaware that her fellow visitors were scurrying for cover, "that you two have been messing about with Muggle remedies?"

"Not messing about, Molly, dear," said Mr. Weasley imploringly. "It was just — just something Pye and I thought we'd try — only, most unfortunately — well, with these particular kinds of wounds —it doesn't seem to work as well as we'd hoped —

"Meaning?"

"Well . . . well, I don't know whether you know what — what stitches are?" I asked, hoping to diffuse the situation.

"It sounds as though you've been trying to sew your skin back together," said Mrs. Weasley with a snort of mirthless laughter, "but even you both, wouldn't be that stupid —"  

"I fancy a cup of tea too," said Harry, jumping to his feet.

Ron, Hermione and Ginny curried after him.

"Well, that's the general idea...." Mr. Weasley said softly.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, THAT'S THE GENERAL IDEA?"  Mrs. Weasley shrieked.

"Mrs. Weasley they work great on Muggle wounds. I've used them loads of time-"

"YOU'RE SEWING YOUR SKIN BACK TOGETHER?! ARE YOU TWO STUPID!"

I leaned as far as I could into my bed and ducked under the covers, as though it would protect me from her wrath.  She yelled for what seemed like an hour, until she finally calmed down, breathing out, but still angry at us.  "You are both so stupid. So so- I can't believe-" she broke off muttering under her breath, then left to get herself some tea. 

I placed a hand on my heart as Remus came walking back. 

"You cowered!" I hit his arm.

"I'm sorry. Molly is very frightening when she gets like that. I decided I needed to duck for cover." his lips twitched upward.

"Jerk." I couldn't help but chuckle slightly. 

"I'm still a little upset that you decided to get stitches." he shook his head. "On snake wounds! Now reall-"

"I was worth a try!"

Mr. Weasley was still staring off into space with wide eyes.

"To be fair, it was your idea to say yes." I said to him.

"Hmmmm."

Ollie then poked his head through the door. "Is the coast clear?"

"Yes." I replied.

Ollie, Tonks, Bill and Fleur came back in and crowded around our beds.

"Where's Mad-eye and the twins?" I asked.

"Dunno," Bill shrugged. "I think they went to find the others."

"Anyways, we're really sorry we couldn't come visit you sooner." Ollie said. "We've just been so busy with work-"

"You must think us awful friends-" Fleur sniffed.

"No, I don't." I shook my head. "My schedule is just as busy as yours, I understand where you're all coming from completely. I'm just glad you're here now."

We spent most of the day chatting and catching up, Remus now laying next to me on the bed, while Mr. Weasley was still trying to calm down Mrs. Weasley . Bill, Fleur, Ollie and Tonks were crowded around my bed, each of them telling me some hot gossip that I had missed over the past while. I told them about how I saw Percy again (I had to whisper that part so that Mrs. Weasley wouldn't hear).

"Oh, you know who I still write to?" asked Fleur.

"No who?"

"Viktor Krum."

"What?"

She nodded. "He likes Hermione very much."

I wrinkled my nose. "I don't think Krum's good for her. They don't.... match well together."

She nodded. "I agree."

Remus blinked. "Viktor.... as in Bulgarian Quidditch player Viktor?"

I nodded. "They met last year. Hermione and Krum went to the Yule Ball together. Hermione and Ginny told me all about it. It was a huge issue because then Ron, that stupid prat, got mad at her, when it was really his  fault he didn't ask her to the ball earlier." I shook my head. "Men are idiots."

"Hey!" Ollie and Bill cried.

"I'm still here." Remus said.

I shrugged. "You know it's true."

It ended up being on of the best Christmas' ever.