Chapter 5: He's back...

You were sitting in a chair next to Jack, who was sitting on a beanbag chair. You were not in the gas station right now. What were you in was a bookstore. The interior looked like a small room crammed with bookshelves containing thousands of books. From cookbooks to SCI-FI novels. The store had everything. And you had the privilege to be brought here by your coworker, possible friend, and fellow book addict Jack!

This said bookstore was called 'New Pages.' And this was Jack usually checking on his blog, getting a new book, etc.

The owners were rather proud of you for some reason. They wanted you to take a break. And luckily, Jack was generous enough to bring you here using his cheap piece of crap 1990 Nissan Altima. Besides, you needed some new books anyway. And since Jack was your only friend who can drive and had an obsession with books as much as you (if not even more,). It was perfect that the two of you were in a good 'ol bookstore to nerd out in. Or something like that.

"Hey, Jack?" You asked.

Jack took another minute for him to respond. "Yeah?'

"Thanks for bringing me here. This place is amazing! I can never run out of books ever again! I don't understand why you were so generous to bring me here!" You smiled. Finally, you had some hope. You always were on the run and evading the cops and that punk that married your mom for what felt like so many years. Yet now you have people who care! It was... something you needed so much!

Jack simply chuckled a little at that. "Hey, it's no problem. Really," Jack replied, a rare smile on his face. "And besides. I'm glad that at least one teenager is interested in books these days."

You simply nodded. You just continued to read your book about a dimension-hopping teenager shooting space dragons until you felt a certain presence. You couldn't put your finger on it. But you felt the presence of someone. Someone who wants your freedom, someone who wants to hurt you. Someone who is your enemy!

Oh God! It's one of the people who want me to go back to him! I can't just let that slide!

You slowly turned your head. Your body slightly trembles at who was there. Your whole body snapped into paranoia like Joseph Stalin. Your expression is filled with despair and slight anger.

"Who's... there?" You mumbled.

A guy was standing there. Not just any guy; he wore John Lennon glasses, a long blonde ponytail, and a starting beer gut. He chuckled at this.

"Oh hey!" The dude said he had a bad cold from the grogginess. "So this must be that kid I heard about, huh Jack?"

Jack nodded his insomniac head. "Yep, that's [Name], one of our longest-lasting part-timers."

Your jaw dropped. Jack told this guy who you are. Well, at least this guy doesn't seem to care that you're a runaway teenager working at the sh*tty gas station.

You raised an eyebrow.

"Jack?" You asked. "Is that Brother Riley?"

"Yes!" The man beamed. "I'm Brother Riley! Great to have you here! And don't worry, I'll keep your secret safe!"

You widen your eyes at the fact this guy was Brother Riley, let alone he knew you're a runaway hiding from him.

"Well hey there Mr. Riley!" You replied with a professional smile. "I've heard a lot of ya from Jack over here! It's good that not everyone lost hope in the shining beacon known as reading!"

Brother Riley chuckled at this. "Can say the same thing about the young generation and reading! I'm sure you and Jack here are going to be my favorite customers!"