Chapter 1: The beginning of something... Weird!

You're a 16-year-old runaway. And being a runaway sucked. You ran from home about two years ago due to issues with your mom after she married some pathetic excuse of a human being. You just had to leave, you needed to go. Sure, your grades were good but the powers that be just breathed down your neck! It had to happen.

But you didn't feel sorry for yourself! You know that this path would be tough! But you didn't care! You're a boy and the path to manhood is not meant to be easy! You made the decision that would make you a man! Right?

You were now working in the sh*tty Gas Station at the edge of town as a part-timer. You've been working for this gas station for almost a year. You know that this Gas Station was well known for having weird things happen around it. You've seen some weird things as of late. From gnomes appearing everywhere to some guy with a trenchcoat who looks suspicious as all hell. It also didn't help that there was a small tar pit in the building covered by a decades-old wet floor sign, a wack job cult living in the woods not far away, and a group of mutated or inbred raccoons as well. But you got used to it. Ever since you lived with your mom's new "man" who replaced your actual dad, you weren't phased by anything this establishment would throw at you. Most likely in an average shift. You would most likely see Jack, the only full-time employee at the counter.

Jack seems to be a very quiet individual who doesn't speak. Or even socialize, only talking when someone comes to buy something or get their gas refilled. Besides that, he doesn't speak to anyone. Discussions with him are usually brief and mainly about work. You mainly remember one time you spoke to Jack.

It was the night shift. And you were sweeping the floors to keep the Gas Station clean. Something that seems off considering it's the awful Gas Station at the edge of town. But if it has to be clean. Then it has to be clean! Anyways after that, you walked towards Jack, wanting to talk to him. You leaned on the counter nonchalantly. Jack was reading a book as usual since the Internet and phone service is as alive as a corpse out here.

"Hey, Jack! Do you mind if I could tell you something that's been on my mind recently?" You asked, your face neutral.

Jack slowly bookmarked the book and put it down before looking right at you. Jack looks tired all the time and you thought he pulled out all-nighters a lot. Jack sighed.

"Sure thing, what is it?" He replied, his voice low and tired.

"Why can't I help people with Gas? I don't understand why the owners would not close like ever yet they won't let me do anything with Gas. Why is that?" You asked.

Jack simply chuckled. It was barely noticeable but you heard it.

"Well, you're a kid! You can't do everything adults do yet. That's also why you're rarely a clerk when I'm not around because minors can't sell cigarettes or alcohol!"

"But Jack! I wanna prove myself to them! Sure I may be a runaway but that doesn't mean I can't be the best worker this place has ever seen in its existence! Because I will prove myself to be a useful part-timer!"

Jack looks at you like Christian parents finding out their son likes men.

"But that still doesn't change anything! Don't get me wrong, I respect your enthusiasm for the job but you just have to wait a little bit. Now can you please get back to the job please?" Jack replied. He sounded a little bit rude but you didn't care. You always had this certain respect for him due to him not only being the only full-time employee. But also because he respected you for your "work first, everything second" attitude.

And that was one of the rare talks you had with Jack. Which perfectly summarized your general interactions with him. But recently, things were getting weird at the Gas Station last night.