Chapter 4 - "Just who you really are?"

Zacznij od początku

Sora didn't respond for a long since she was building a fire pit in which she would cook our lunch. When she was finished, she turned her head in my direction and responded.

"I'm... curious about how the kingdom's system works in yours; may I ask you to tell me what you do as someone with a royal title?"

"But, let us talk later; I'll finish preparing our meal first."

The abrupt change in tone in her speech surprised me. Sora's voice conveyed a sense of curiosity.

I was smiling at myself. Perhaps this is an opportunity to grow closer to Sora and show her that I am worthy of her trust.

"Gladly," I replied, "let me assist you with our meal so we can pick up the pace."

Although Sora did not respond further, she had allowed me to assist her with the preparation. That's enough for me to realize I could interference with the process.

---

The vegetable curry that Sora and I had been cooking was finished after some time. As well as the rice Sora had prepared ahead of time.

And, yes, I did receive a reprimand from the obnoxious guardian. It's not my fault that practically all of the spices she had on her cabin shelf had the same color scheme.

---

Earlier

This is my third time walking from Sora's cabin to the front of the fire pit because I kept grabbing the incorrect kind of spice for the curry.

This is the first time Sora has ever become annoyed with me, and it is exasperating.

"Curry! The curry powder! That one that you're grasping is turmeric. We're making Vegetable CURRY, not Vegetable TURMERIC!"

The guardian even dared to threaten me with a long, wooden spoon.

"How was I meant to find out, pabo?! They're both yellow! Nearly every of the spices you have are yellow!"

"Pay attention now and allow me to give you an overview of the color of each spice so you obtain the right one," Sora said as she cleared her throat and began telling me how to distinguish each spices' difference.

"Curry powder has a distinctive yellow color. The first one you brought me was ginger powder which a pale yellow, second is coriander powder which has a brownish-yellow green color, and the one you're holding right now is cumin powder which is a brownish-yellow."

All I could hear was the word 'yellow' as my head swirled. This woman had to have been a Michelin-starred cook before becoming a forest guardian. She could tell the difference between the spices based just on their hue, couldn't she?

"I give up, Sora; why weren't these seasoning jars had labeling in the first place?"

"Given that I'd never had difficulty distinguishing each one before," Sora deadpanned, rolling her eyes. "You know what, simply give me the lid for the cauldron from inside the cabin, and I'll take care of the spices."

I returned to the cabin, trailed by Sora.

I took hold of the cauldron's lid and began heading back towards the front of the fire pit, as directed.