𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟔

────── ✼✼✼ ──────

────── ✼✼✼ ──────

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟔
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐍

────── ✼✼✼ ──────

Night had quickly come and gone when they arrived at the Avengers Compound. Charlie was both nervous and excited as she walked through the halls. She was glad to be back in a place that offered some sort of safety after fighting two giant aliens not even twelve hours ago. But, on the other hand, Thaddeus Ross introduced the Sokovia Accords to them the last time she was here before a civil war broke out. That was the reason her life was messed up now and the reason why she couldn't see Alex, Peter, or her family. The Compound was also the last place she saw the Avengers together in one place. So even though she welcomed the safety with open arms, Charlie also felt a bit of resentment for the compound in the pit of her stomach.

The Barton girl couldn't help but interlock her fingers with Pietro's to help her calm her nerves as they walked behind Steve and Natasha. Behind them, Wanda and Sam were helping Vision walk through the halls. Despite the Maximoff girl's efforts to heal his wounds, the Keeper of the Mind Stone still felt the pain from Clovis Glaive's staff. That thought alone was enough to terrify Charlie. She always thought that Vision was invincible with Wanda being the only one that could hurt him, but I guess the Barton girl was wrong.

They were heading toward a very familiar voice, one that belonged to a person Charlie hadn't seen since their battle at the German airport. It wasn't long before they made it to the central hub of the building, where Rhodey was talking to the hologram of Thaddeus Ross. The group of heroes stopped in the doorframe of the hub as Thaddeus just stared at him. Charlie could barely see his face over Natasha's shoulder, but she knew he was annoyed to see them. The staredown continued for what felt like an eternity to the Barton girl before Steve broke the silence surrounding them. "Mr. Secretary."

The Ross man just stared at Captain America for a long moment before slowly walking towards him. He didn't stop until his holographic form was standing a few feet away from Natasha. "You got some nerve. I'll give you that."

"You could use some of that right now," the Romanoff woman responded without even attempting to hide her smirk.

"The world's on fire," Thaddeus continued as he moved to stand in front of Steve, "and you think all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight," the Rogers man declared while keeping a stoic look on his face. Steve just stared at the holographic image of Thaddeus Ross before taking a single step forward. "And if you wanna stand in our way...we'll fight you too."