Chapter 3

KIRA

'Well, genius, how are you getting out of this one.' Shadow sassed.

We had taken the unconscious boy back to the rock cave we had found. We started a fire with the dry wood that was available, which brought a bit of warmth to the cold of the rain.

'Well, aren't you a heartless beast? When he is conscious, we will guide him back to his camp. He looks like those kids who go on school trips.' I replied.

Shadow huffed in defeat. I added more wood to the fire and watched it burn. A flash of a memory came before my eyes, but I quickly pushed it back. I was no longer the same person I was back then.

'Heads up. The little bugger is stirring' Shadow hummed.

I snapped my head at the boy. He looked less pale, and his breathing had gone back to almost normal. I sighed.

'He is a lucky one to be surviving a fall like that, huh?' I proudly said.

We checked his area and saw where the boy took a nasty fall. We brought him back in my human form since someone didn't want to get blood on their coat.

'It is MY coat and I have a say in who rides on me. Nevertheless, I am happy that the foal didn't die on us' Shadow huffed.

'Well, look at that. You do have a heart' I teased.

'It's not like that! I just feel protective of him which is creeping me out.' Shadow said seriously.

After Shadow said that I fell silent. She was not the only one who felt an attachment to the kid. I thought that he might be our Guardian-given mate.

Since she is the only one who can give mates on this planet. But that was impossible for three reasons.

One, the boy is a BOY. He is not old enough to be our mate. Second, we were cursed by the Guardian's daughter, Lyra, the goddess of blessings and curses, as we call her. With that, we can't possibly have a mate.

And lastly, with what we have done, WHY THE HECK WOULD THEY GIVE US A MATE? We are not even supposed to be alive let alone have a mate.

'Oh Guardian, you couldn't have done sure a reckless thing now, could you?' I cried out.

'Oh no! Big G. did it. Well, look on the bright side of things, we have someone to love and care for us. Man, that is revolting. But, hey, we will grow into it' Shadow ranted.

As the dark terror went on and on, I ,on the other side of things, was having a full-on panic attack from the thought. And here was my 'other half' talking about it like it is no big deal.

"Oh, goddess give me strength to get through this," I whispered.