Tales Of A Tattoo

Elizabeth asked Theodore to keep watch over her father because she needed some personal time to think about what her father said at her birthday ball. She wasn't ready to marry someone yet, for she wasn't sure if she had found someone she truly loved. Nor did she think her father would approve of her offer to rule the Kingdom without marriage, being that Archie was a single father and sole ruler of Nightingale, after her mother's untimely demise.

After Sam returns from her adventure, the two are reunited at last. Only this time she didn't turn down the offer to sail alongside Sam. Elizabeth needed to take a break from her life as a princess and just be herself. The need to be free to make her own decisions, and live life without someone telling her what to do and how to act weighed heavily on her heart. She craved freedom.

So, they ventured to an island, not far from the kingdom, that Sam had stayed on during her time away. The natives lived peaceful lives, and were kind people, so long as they were respectful. They also enjoyed teaching travelers about their culture and heritage. Feasts were held every night, and they drank, danced, and sang under the moon and stars. Their way of presenting a gift to the gods, who they believed would bless their island and people with luck and fortune.

During their journey to the island, Sam informed Elizabeth there was an island woman, who told incredible tales behind her tattoos. The woman's entire body is covered in tattoos, except her wrinkled face. Each one tells a different story about an experience in her life. Elizabeth could tell from Sam's excitement that it was something incredible and worth seeing for herself.

She had never met anyone with a tattoo before, until meeting Sam, who has an anchor tattooed on her thigh. It was strange for Elizabeth. Seeing and experiencing new things is something she'd never be able to do while in her father's kingdom. Venturing with Sam on this voyage made Elizabeth feel rebellious, but also selfish for wanting to do something for herself.

Upon arriving on the island, Sam takes Elizabeth to meet the woman, who tells a tale about her run-in with a poacher in the jungle on the island. A foreigner to the island, traveling around the world searching for unique creatures and specimens. The woman, known as Ti-Kara, was just a small child when she stumbled along the path while chasing a frog from the pond into the jungle. In a small clearing, a large metal cage concealed the magnificent bird.

When the Phoenix heard Ti-Kara approaching, it flapped its wings frantically. Practically asking for her help. She ran up to the cage, and pulled on the lock, burning her hand. After searching the ground for a big enough rock, she hit the lock repeatedly to no avail. The Phoenix suddenly breathed fire into the lock until it was bright red. She then threw the rock as hard as she could at the lock, breaking it off the door. The poacher returned, just as she had freed the Phoenix. If it hadn't been for Ti-Kara's father looking for her, there's no telling what would've happened if he wasn't there to scare off the poacher.

If the island ruler knew of the true intentions of the foreigner, he certainly wouldn't have allowed him to step foot on the island. Now they had guards stationed around the jungle at all times. They protected the dying breed of majestic birds on the brink of extinction.

The woman turns her back on the crowd of children sitting around Elizabeth and Sam, revealing the Phoenix tattoo on her back. She flexes her arms and back, creating the illusion of her Phoenix tattoo flapping its fiery wings.

After the show, Sam talks Elizabeth into getting a tattoo of her own. Stating it'd be an epic way to show she is rebelling. Elizabeth didn't expect the tattoo to come with strings attached. Suddenly, she can see a creature no one else is capable of seeing. While Sam paid the woman for their tattoos, Elizabeth saw the strange-looking creature take off with the bracelet Sam bought her at a jewelry stand on the island. She chased after it, and Sam followed shortly thereafter. She helped Elizabeth chase down the invisible creature. It wasn't until Elizabeth captured the creature and it bit her that Sam believed Elizabeth about the creature.

After boarding the ship to return to Nightingale, Elizabeth experienced mild illness symptoms. During the ride back to the castle, her symptoms worsened. Sam demanded they return to the island after Elizabeth described the creature. Stating that its appearance resembled a strange combination of a squirrel, a rabbit, and a mouse. They visited the tattooed woman, who explained her own experience with the creature to Sam the last time she was on the island.

"Sneaky little things, Doppelgangers are. Always stealing and hiding other people's belongings in holes burrowed into the trees," Ti-Kara said.

They walked back to the place where Elizabeth was bit by the Doppelganger. When the old woman called out to the creature, mimicking the creature's sound, it slowly walked out of the rustling bushes. While looking up at the old woman with apologetic eyes, it seemed like the two of them knew each other, as they communicated back and forth.

The creature slowly approached Elizabeth, and shed a tear on the wound it left on her hand from the bite, healing it completely. The bush rustled again, only this time two baby Doppelgangers rolled out onto the ground, entangled in Elizabeth's bracelet. The princess and the pirate decide to let the babies keep the bracelet and end up buying matching bracelets for themselves before leaving the island. Elizabeth lives to tell her very own tale about the Doppelgangers, though she knows nobody would believe her anyway.