Chapter Two

I look up to see my father. Standing in the doorway of my room. The video still playing on my phone puts me back into what is actually happening, and I turn it off. 

“Hey dad…” I say solemnly. 

He stares at me for a moment. No expression, no words. And tells me to come into the living room. 

As I follow him in, I am joined by my nana, my aunt, my mother, and my step mother. 

“Stand by the door, she might run,” my mother says before I enter. 

I sit on the chair away from everyone, and contemplate my life decisions for about 5 seconds. I am embarrassed. 

“So, let me get this straight. You think you can do whatever you want now and get away with it? I don't think so Janae. This is bullcrap that I have to even be up here because of this” my dad says finally. 

“That's not what i think” i say in monotone

“So what is it then? Have you just gone completely mad?” he says 

“Ya well maybe i have! Maybe no one in the house understands me but me and my friends. And maybe mom is just being ridiculous!” i yell

“Watch your mouth. You don't disrespect her like that, that's your mother!” he counters

I don't say anything. 

I look over to see my Nana and mother crying. Why are they crying? I'm the one who should be crying. 

“Give her your phone.” my father says, crossing his arms. 

I hand my phone to her and she hides it at her sides as if i was going to fight her for it back. This is such a juvenile situation. Why am I even here? 

“So here's what's gonna happen. You're gonna go get the totes out of the garage, and you're gonna go in your room and pack all of your stuff, do you understand?” he says 

“Ya.” I say and get up. 

As I walk out of the garage with the totes, I go in my room and frantically pull out my laptop out of my backpack, and start typing an email to my best friend. 

I delete everything and log out and start packing away. Throwing hoodies and underwear and shirts and socks in one. 

Now, I have two options here. My window is broken. No screen, and it's open. I am alone in my room, and everyone is in the living room. I could most definitely run away if I really wanted to. Or, I could stay and pack my things like I was told, and nothing else would happen. My thoughts are racing and all i can think about is getting my belongings in these totes so i can get this over with. 

I am greeted by my sister entering my room. 

I look up from the totes, and greet her with a warm smile. 

“I'm moving out.” I say without thinking. “They came here to pick me up so I'm leaving. They were mad about what happened last night. I guess mom told him.” I say with a smile and continue throwing items in the totes. 

“No…no this isn't fair. I'm gonna miss you so much sis” she says and gets teary. 

“Thank mom for this. I'm sorry.” i say, and she leaves

“You're almost done?” my nana says as she walks in my room. 

“Am I staying up there forever? Will I ever come back?” I sigh and frown at her.