11

7 Months Later

Fall in New England is always a treat. It's only September, but I'm wearing a light jacket. Soon, the leaves will be shades of yellow, orange, and red. As I leave my car and walk to the science building, I make a mental note to start re-watching Gilmore Girls tonight. 

It's the beginning of the fall semester, but I'm already stressed. If everything goes to plan, I'll be earning my associates degree in applied science this spring. I've gotten a part-time job as an actress at the Boston Tea Party museum. For around 15 hours a week, I put on a dated dress and pretend it's the 1700s. I always found history boring in high school, but now I'm learning to appreciate the local history scene. I want to stay there, work in the museum full-time, and possibly work my way up to management. But my parents want me to transfer to a four-year school to finish my degree. 

I'm early. My first class doesn't start for twenty more minutes. I find a small couch in the lobby and sit down. As soon as I pull out my phone, I check my email. 

Application Status Update | Boston College

I nervously follow the link, but remind myself that I applied because my parents wanted me to, not because I wanted to. 

After I read the words "After careful consideration, we are unable," and close my eyes. I wasn't expecting this to hurt so bad. I hate rejection, even if it's for something I didn't really want in the first place. 

I close out of the website and check Instagram. Matt has posted a new picture. He's at the beach and his girlfriend is on his shoulders, arms out and eyes closed as she takes in the moment. Her name is Amelia Casanova, and according to FamousBirthdays.com, she's a TikTok celebrity. She's really pretty — long, dirty-blonde hair, green eyes, freckles, and tan skin. She's lived in L.A. her whole life and appears to be showing Matt around. They've been dating for about three months now. As to be expected, the response is mixed. Some fans are happy that Matt is happy. Others think she's not good enough for him. I can't lie and say I'm not jealous of her. But I've never met her and as long as they make each other happy, I'm glad they're together. 

"Hey, you," Nate says, hopping over the couch to sit next to me. "Hi," I respond with a smile. I'm glad we're friends. After the triplets left to go back to L.A., Nate and I have been talking and hanging out. Both of us are on Tinder and laugh about how wrong the dates have gone. Every now and then, I question my decision to not date Nate. But I love our friendship and how drama-free it is. 

"Which class do you have now?" he asks.

"Macroeconomics."

He gives me a look of disgust. "Have fun with that."

"Oh I will."

"Hey, the triplets are coming back to Boston next week."

That got my attention. "Really?"

"Yeah. Matt's bringing Amelia."

He looks at me for any reaction. I give him none. "That's cute how he's going to show her around Boston."

He nods. "She's been to New York but that's it for the east coast. I don't think she has met his parents yet either."

I look down at my fingernails.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Matt and I wouldn't have worked out. I like New England way too much to move to California anyway."

"I'll let you know if we make any plans. You're sure you're okay with meeting Amelia?"

I looked up sharply. "Stop making this into a big deal. I don't care at all about meeting her! I'm not some immature, jealous little girl."

Nate's cheeks redden. "I know. I'm sorry."

Was he right? I'm okay with meeting Amelia but will I be jealous when I see her with Matt? I'll find out soon.