Everything is different at night. It's peaceful. Despite what society says, I feel safer at night.

I should have worn a hat. Winter comes quickly in Boston. I used to want to move out of here so badly and live somewhere warmer. Somewhere like Tampa. Or even Charleston. But my entire life is here. All my memories are here. 

As I continue my evening walk around my neighborhood, I pass Somerville High School and pause for a moment. I have so many memories from this place. Some good, others bad. I made and lost friends throughout my four years there. I know it's dramatic but the lessons I learned there still guide me today.

My eyes skim over a row of windows in the back corner of the school. They belong to Room 272, my old algebra classroom. I remember that class being so boring and stressful. I was used to getting A's and B's in my classes. But algebra 1 taught me what it was like to be on the border of a C- and D+ grade. The only good thing about it was that Matt Sturniolo was in it. 

He was quiet like me but managed to be in a large friend group. His good lucks and position on the varsity lacrosse team made him popular. He is a triplet. His brothers Nick and Chris were also popular. But Matt wasn't loud like his brothers. He was quiet like me, and sat in the back left corner of the classroom. I admired his humbleness. He could have laughed loudly in the hallways, flirted with any girl, or host bustling parties when his parents weren't home. But he didn't. So yes, I had a major crush on him.

I worked with Matt a few times doing group work in class. His eyes always distracted me. It sounds silly, I know. But his eyes are a beautiful soothing shade of light blue. The way his wavy, brown hair would sometimes get in his eyes also distracted me.

A cold breeze went by, bringing me out of my thoughts. I was being silly again, pretending it was still 2018 when I was a naive freshman obsessing over a boy I would rarely talk to throughout high school. 

None of that matters anymore. Matt and his brothers are in Los Angeles, going to red carpet events, collaborating with brands like Pepsi, and well on their way to becoming millionaires if they aren't already.

Meanwhile, I'm still here, living with my parents while attending a local college, not sure what to do with my life. No one knows who I am. Meanwhile, Matt has already changed people's lives. I'm so happy for him. He's out there making a name for himself.