4

Tuesdays are the worst. Growing up, we were taught that Mondays are horrible, Fridays are exciting, and that Saturday is the best day of the week. But once you get to college, everything changes. I don't have any classes on Mondays but Monday's hold that sad, lingering feeling that used to be reserved for Sunday afternoons. 

It's only seven at night but I'm exhausted. My last class ended at 6:15 but I stayed on campus to grab two slices of pizza. Unfortunately, Middlesex Community College is a 30 minute drive from Somerville and the traffic at this time is terrible. Sometimes I wait it out by taking a walk in one of the parks around here but I shouldn't tonight. I need to go to the Sturniolos' house to water the plants. And then I can finally relax after that.

The Sturniolos' house is only a couple of blocks from mine. I decide to park at my house and walk over. The roads in the suburbs surrounding Boston are very narrow and many of the houses  don't have garages. My road isn't busy but the area near their house seems to be. I don't want to risk parking my car there. 

Once I get to the house, I slip the key into the front door's lock. I go upstairs to the kitchen and fill the watering can, just as I did last night. Jim and MaryLou are coming back tomorrow night. She texted me yesterday to check-in and make sure I was able to find all the plants (there's a lot of them). She mentioned how thankful she is and that I didn't have to come today if I was too busy. But as a plant lover myself, I know what one long day of sunlight and no water can do to a plant. So I knew I had to come back here. 

The plants are scattered among the living room, kitchen, dining room, and master bedroom. I hate that I was disappointed that none were in Matt's room. It makes sense that none aren't, since he's mostly living in L.A., but I wanted to see his room. I managed to make it out of their home yesterday without snooping around. After I put the watering can back on the counter, I pause. This is my one chance to see his bedroom. I start to get goosebumps. What in the world is wrong with me? Why do I want to see his bedroom? I think they made a room tour video but I never watched. I wasn't that weird. These were guys I went to school with. But in high school, I wondered what his room was like. I debated whether he was a Saturdays Are For The Boys kind of a guy or if he is the type to have some sort of anime poster. I can find out right now.

I lightly push open the door that's closest to the kitchen. It's medium-sized with familiar lime green walls. I've seen videos of this room. This must be Nick's. He's definitely filmed TikTok's in here. 

I start to make my way down the hallway when all of a sudden, I hear movement. I freeze. Seconds later, the downstairs door opens. The goosebumps are back.

"Shhh," I hear someone loudly whisper. 

I look around for something to grab. Why can't there be a baseball bat conveniently located in the hallway?

Footsteps make their way up the stairs. I close my eyes. 

"SURPRISE," someone yells as the footsteps get louder. 

I open my eyes.

Three sets of eyes stare back at mine. We're all silent.

"Bro!" Chris yells loudly. He nervously laughs, trying to hide the fact that he got as pale as a ghost. 

"What is going on here?" Nick says, talking to the camera he's holding up. 

"You guys scared me," I say. My voice comes out weakly. This is so embarrassing. 

"What are you doing here?" Matt asks, with absolutely no emotion in his voice. He's standing behind Nick and Chris. He's wearing a black hoodie that looks super soft, grey sweatpants, and some kind of Adidas sneakers. He's not grinning like his brothers are. He looks annoyed.

"I'm sorry," I say. I quickly remember to explain myself. "Your parents are in Cape Cod. I saw your mom at church and she asked me to water the plants."

"Bruh, are you kiddingggg?" Chris trails off.

Nick starts laughing. "Chris, you need to stop! You're sounding like a frat boy and it's concerning."

"Wednesday's video was supposed to be of us surprising our parents and eating at Red Robbin or something," Matt explains, once again monotone. 

"REEEDDD ROBBIN!" Chris yells.

"YUMMM!" Chris and Nick yell, referencing the commercials. 

"Come on, you guys," Matt says while rolling his eyes. He's not impressed. 

"Sorry about all of this," I say, apologizing once again even though I have nothing to be sorry for. I feel so awkward, I need to get out of this situation.

"Let's drive to Cape Cod and surprise them there!" Nick says enthusiastically. Chris starts nodding like a maniac. 

"Let's not," Matt says. "I'm tired. There's no way I'm driving over there. It's over an hour away."

"I can drive." It takes me a moment to register what just came out of my mouth. I feel the heat rise to my face. It must be visibly red. 

"Uhh no, it's okay," Matt says. Now he looks uncomfortable. 

"Wait, actually though? That's nice of you. We should all go to Cape Cod," Chris adds. I can't tell if he's being serious or trying to make the situation less awkward. 

"No. Natalie, it's really nice of you to offer but we shouldn't go. We're all tired anyways. I just want to go to bed," Nick says. 

He remembers who I am. I'm a bit taken aback. I know it hasn't been that long since we were in school together but he must have made lots of new people since then. 

"I'll get going," I say quickly. I search my back pocket and retrieve the spare key. "This is yours." I hold it out for a second. My face feels like it's on fire. Finally, Matt extends his hand and I place the key in it. I rush down the stairs.

The cold outdoor air feels like an icepack on my face. That could have been my moment. I could have acted calm and friendly. We all could have talked about our high school memories. We could have became friends. I could have started dating Matt. I could have married Matt and moved out to L.A. We could have started a family vlog channel. Not that I support those of course, but the idea of starting a family with Matt is electrifying. 

What is wrong with me? 

My breathing becomes heavy. My vision gets blurry. This is all in my head, I know it is. Nevertheless, I stop walking and sit down on the curb. 

I feel so lost.