CHAPTER FIVE: A BUMP IN THE NIGHT

Start from the beginning

"It ain't the mountains of Tibet. It's Georgia. She could be holed up in a farmhouse somewhere. People get lost and they survive. It happens all the time." Daryl calmly explains still not meeting her eye as Julia glares at him.

"Yeah well- that was before the undead rose and started eating people." Julia spat before shaking her head as her eyes glaze over in thought. "Besides she's only 12..." Julia voices in a softer tone her mind elsewhere.

Julia had only been 13 when the pastor did what he had done to her.... She knew what it was like to be young, and weak.

It wasn't anything personal.

"Hell I was younger than her and I got lost. Nine days in the woods eating berries, wiping my ass with poison oak." Daryl suddenly says after staring at her for a long minute like he knew he was losing her subconscious.

"They find you?" Julia asks scratching her arm harshly for some reason getting to know some of Daryl's past felt weird. It felt.... Special in a way. She knew he probably would never tell another person this, not unless asked about it or provoked.

"My old man was off on a bender with some waitress. Merle was doing another stint in Juvie. Didn't even know I was gone. I made my way back though. Went straight into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. No worse for wear. Except my ass itched something awful." Daryl calmly explains before Julia snorts a laugh making him look at her funny.

Julia doesn't even apologize as she continues to laugh right in front of him about it. He didn't say anything either as he watched her laugh for a good bit. He couldn't recall seeing her laugh sober.

"That's hilarious I'm sorry." Julia chokes out an apology before busting out laughing again as Daryl shakes his head with a faint smile. Soon even he had to laugh along with her only making Julia laugh harder until she stops to catch her breath.

"Only difference is like you said she's got people looking for her. I call that an advantage." He continues to walk making Julia follow and catch up walking along side him again.

The pair stay silent for awhile again when they start going deeper into the woods they hear sticks and stuff shifting. Julia grabs her sword and flash light and prepares just in case a Walker or two attacked.

Daryl seemed to have the same idea as he had his bow and light lifted looking around.

The familiar faint sound of growling could be heard making the two move toward it just in case worse scenario it was Sophia. But upon moving closer they find a Walker hanging from a tree.

"What the hell?" Daryl asks confused at first how it was hanging by its neck in a noose.

Despite being up in a tree the Walker thrashed it's arms around as if to get them making Julia roll her eyes as Daryl reads a note off the walkers body.

"Got bit. Fever hit. World gone to shit might as well quit. Dumbass didn't know enough to shoot himself in the head. Turned himself into a big swinging piece of bait. And a mess." Daryl says with distaste as Julia just shakes her head nose scrunched at the sight.

It's flesh was completely gone on its legs making Julia want to gag but hold it back.

"You alright?" Daryl asks and Julia just shrugs removing her eyes from the depressing scene. "I'm fine." Juli says short and to the point as he nods slowly.

"Your..... really good with a crossbow." Julia states trying to get the subject off the Walker as Daryl still stares at it like it's no big deal. "Gotta eat. That's one thing these walkers and us have in common. I guess it the closest he's been to food since he turned. Look at em- hanging up there like a big piñata. The other geeks came and ate all the flesh off his legs." He notes loudly making Julia gag but still not throw up.