"Water breathing! Third form! Flowing Dance!"

I quickly move out of the way and follow a circular path toward Akaza. Akaza threw a punch, however, I sliced his hand. I quickly appeared behind and swung, he parried the attack with his other hand. I finish my dance by appearing in front of him and swinging down in a vertical motion. He used both his hands to block, however, I cut through both of them.

 He used both his hands to block, however, I cut through both of them

He quickly jumped back and stared at his two missing arms. The grin on his face widened before he looked towards me.

"You're the strongest water hashira I have ever seen" He declared and instantly regenerated his arm

My eyes widen for a moment at a realization. One of the reasons why I lost to Akaza in the previous timeline was because he was able to read my moves and predict which form I would use. Now I get it, he knew which forms I was going to use because he's fought previous water Hashira.

"Allow me to show you my respect!" He yelled

"Compass needle!"

     There it is! The compass needle, it seems like he's gotten serious

There it is! The compass needle, it seems like he's gotten serious. I grip my katana waiting for his next move. There's no point in me attacking yet, I need to discover that needle's weakness before I attack. Water breathing is a flexible and defensive style, we are limited in terms of offense, which means every attack I do must come with meaning. Attacking for the sake of attacking is a waste of stamina.

"Show me what you can do!" He yelled with enthusiasm

He burst towards me again. I prepare myself with a defensive stance. He quickly came to a stop with a lunge. Both his arms pushed forward. Was it an Air type like before?

"Disorder!"

A much larger shockwave was released from his fists toward me. Now I remember, I used dead calm to block this at the time due to the limited space, but now that we are outside. I quickly ran towards the left before the shock wave hit me.

"Such great Speed!" He complimented.

He lunged towards me again, and this time he opted to throw a barrage of punches to which I quickly reacted and deflected. We were back in close-range combat situations.