Chapter 53: Preperations & Surprises

Bắt đầu từ đầu

There's this uplifting almost hopeful feeling in the air that I hope lasts forever.

We finally break through the tree line and are met with a massive beach, pale beige sand, so light it almost appears white to the eyes spread as far as the eye can see, a large expanding ocean taking up half of the horizon even with another two miles before we hit the water.

We don't need to go all the way to the beach though, instead we find one of many sand dunes raised to almost mid height of the sky scraping tees. On top of that about eight of them evenly spread along the beaches are look out towers that have a flare, mama enhanced binoculars and walkie-talkies. They finally finished getting built a few days ago and this is my second time here to get another report. This time instead of asking the Warrior to come down, I decide to go up, wanting to view the distant Ameden coast with better eyes. From here, all it is is a sandy barren hellscape.

I make my way up the latter and find Johnathan with the binoculars to his eyes starting out over the breathing ocean.

It takes a second for me to remember that I asked Alex and my Commanders to oversee a project or issue to help out, Charlotte's hands full already as she welcomes two of the Omega recruits to her spy unit.

I guess this is what Johnathan chose though it doesn't surprise or upset me.

"Hey, boss." Johnathan greets me without so much as turning an inch, and I shake my head to myself, the wolf a pain in the ass but one of the best most loyal Warriors we have. He removes the binoculars away from his eyes before giving them to me, pointing out over the water as I try to follow his gaze with the bulky tool. "You see there? right there along their Northern border there's a Military Academy, right next to those mines. You see that fence? That's it."

I follow his directions with my eyes and find where he means. I can see a gate that sections off an entire part of the.... dessert?.... beach? the whatever you call it coast, a distant large grey building a little further back.

"Yeah I see it." I tell him, almost seeing the huge mineshaft forged into one of the few natural mining hills. There's all types of metals and stones that have been enhanced and changed due to the natural mana in the earth, and the Daemons are the ones that harvest the minerals and metals and send them to Vilin to be treated, casted, and shaped into weapons, medicines, tools and other things that can go for thousands of dollars.

"Well a few days ago there was barely any movement there. Maybe five people milling around, never seeing more than three in a group. But just today, I've see at least ten people gathered on that beach at once. Like they were discussing something. Planning or making a deal about something. I've been keeping an eye on it but since then it's been quiet. I don't know Alpha, my instincts are telling me to keep an eye on it." Johnathan admits and I agree with him.

"Okay, do that and keep me posted. If they start to increase their Academy classes and intake we could only assume it's for the same reason."

"To go to war." Is all he says as I hand him back his binoculars.

"Keep me posted but don't draw attention to yourselves. If we fuck this up, they could put up a magic barrier that would stop us from being able to see what they were doing. They could be getting a whole armada ready to come here and we would never know. I'd be careful." I warn him and he nods, for once not treating everything like it's some joke.

I climb down from my perch and take my time going up and down the line of contact, making sure they blend in with their surroundings and that they're far enough apart that even if someone did attack at least one of them would have time to sound off a warning.

After an hour of checking the time, it finally reaches five thirty and I take my leave from the beach, saying goodbye to the Head Warrior who decides to stick around. Knowing Cody is training with Charlotte, I find myself smiling with excitement over the idea of showing Cody what I've been working on. I quickly make my way towards Zee's house after stopping by the packhouse to quickly change and shower.