Chapter 10: New Promises

Start from the beginning

"Well, thank you. I'll always love you too."

He lunged for a hug.

"Careful now," Lana warned.

"A few wires won't hurt him."

"That's not what I meant..." she didn't bother to continue. She sighed shaking her head.

"You are allowed one cupcake. Not more, not less."

"Yay!" Alex screamed. I chuckled at his excitement. I just wished mine mirrored his.

~~~~~~~

I jolted from my seat.

"Holy lyre! A!"

I reached for a hug nearly crushing him.

"Careful there tiger."

"I'm not dreaming, am I?"

He pinched me hard.

"Ouch! What was that for?"

"See, you aren't dreaming."

"Then why are you this fine after waking up from a comma?"

"Guess I'm just that awesome."

I shook my head.

"At least I know a few weeks of sleep did not take away that ego of yours."

"A few weeks, damn! Guess it's payback."

"It really felt like it was. I'm glad it's over."

"Think again."

"What?"

I looked behind me to see who said that but there was no one.

"Did you hear that?"

I turned to look at Alex but I found myself staring at my younger self.

"No, you can't be that cruel."

"That's life. It does not always go the way you want it to."

I know that voice.

"Who are you?"

"I told you. I'm your worst nightmare."

I woke up with a start. The sun had already left leaving the spotlight to the moon. The room was drowned in darkness except for the little ray of light coming from the windows. Alex was still unconscious, laying peacefully on his bed.

A chill air caused me to shiver and I stood up to close the windows and a blanket dropped to the floor. I don't remember bringing this let alone covering myself with it. The door slid open grabbing my attention.

"Ah, you're awake."

"Hey doc."

"The donor dropped by earlier. You missed him again."

I sighed.

"I guess I'll meet him when the right time comes."

He nodded.

"What's his status?" I asked gesturing towards Alex.

"He's stable for now but since I don't know what caused the first attack anything can happen."

"About that, I might have something."

He looked at me questioningly.

I grabbed my phone to show him the picture I took. I entered my camera roll and scrolled down but I couldn't seem to find it. My eyebrows furrowed. What? I'm sure I took the picture earlier.

"What happened?"

"I could've sworn..."

"What's wrong?"

"Tell me when you have to wheel a patient out do you cut off the oxygen tube?"

"What? Obviously not!"

"Well when I came into the room right after they took Alex to the O.R, the tube was cut. I took a picture but I can't seem to find it."

"Are you sure?"

"A hundred percent."

"I have to check with security. This is extremely concerning. Did you notice anything strange other than that?"

"I got a call from the hospital earlier but it was not someone from the staff. There was a male voice. He only said he was my worst nightmare then hung up. The number then disappeared from my call log."

"What does this mean? Who could it possibly be?"

"I have no idea who could possibly want something from either of us that they would go to these extents."

"I'll see if we can look through the security cameras and let you know whether I find anything."

"Okay thanks doc."

"No biggie. I can't risk the safety of Alex. He is already in a critical state. I don't want anything to cause irreparable damage."

I nodded.

"I have some rounds to make. I'll see you around."

"Have a great night."

"Same to you. Try not to think too much about these events."

I gave him a small smile. Easier said than done.

A/N: Hello. Long time no see. I hope you are all doing well. I'm in the middle of my exams but I needed a little break so I decided to write. I'm sorry if I got your hopes up. The plot is slowly unravelling and I can't wait to drive you all crazy with subtle hints. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Until next time have a great day/night.