"fired"

(warning for the next few chapters, they involve the fire ending and are gonna be rough)

(shit hitting fan in 5..4..3..2..)

You were jolted awake and you weren't quite sure why, you hadn't been having a nightmare and your alarm certainly hadn't gone off, yet here you were, waddling to your kitchen in a zombified state to inhale a cup of water then try and fail to find a reasonable snack before simply returning to bed
as you reentered the room you took note of your fazwatch blinking dimly from the bedside table, alerting you of an unread message.
Your tired eyes squinted at the small screen and a small smile formed as you saw that the message was from Sun though that smile dropped as you read the message, it was only four words long but it produced a feeling inside of you like a frozen knife being jammed into your spine "the rabbit is real." it had been sent hours ago and was accompanied by no further elaboration.
just like that you were wide awake, frantically yanking on a jacket and shoes before grabbing your car keys and dashing out of the door, something was very wrong, you just weren't certain what it was yet.
The problem made itself very apparent before you'd even arrived at the Pizzaplex, it was impossible to ignore the rising cloud of Smoke which you were approaching then the bright orange glow to go along with it as you got closer and finally the flames became visible as you pulled into the parking lot, you stopped your car, not bothering to shut it off or pull into a parking spot, even leaving the door open as you jumped out and sprinted for the enormous building, were you really going to charge into a burning building to save a robot? The hefty dose of adrenaline pumping through your body said yes.
And so you rammed shoulder-first through the glass doors and found the security gate was already open, either the systems were failing or someone had beat you there, you didn't honestly care which, running straight for the daycare and forcing your way through the massive doors "SUN?! MOON?!" you called, your voice barely audible over the roaring flames as you looked around the mess of melting plastic that was the daycare, your jacket pulled over your mouth and nose and your eyes burning and watering from the smoke, you searched desperately but found no sign of them other than a large smear of melted plastic which was streaked across the door and seemed to be the same type as their plating, the sight made your stomach churn but it gave you an odd sense of hope that maybe they'd gotten out of the daycare and they at least wouldn't be buried under the mound of plastic which used to be the play structures you shoved your way back out of the doors and looked around for more signs that maybe they were nearby, after a few steps you felt your foot sink into something and looked down, horrified to find that it was a rather large chunk of their faceplate which had melded to the floor, you gasped and jumped back quickly, feeling yourself physically gag at the strands of melted plastic which clung to your shoe.
"Get it together, it's only plastic" You quickly regained your composure looking away from the grim sight to instead scan your surroundings, they got out of the daycare at least, the downside being that they could be anywhere now and were very clearly not going to be in any sort of good condition when and if you found them.
You considered calling for them again as you searched but figured it was better to not waste your breath on account of the smoke, you were frantic, scrambling and dodging around flames, searching for absolutely any sign of Sun or Moon, acutely aware of the fact that this entire multi-level building could give way at at any moment and flatten you, then you saw something which you recognized, the visually grating colors of a maintenance uniform propped against one of the piles of rubble, upon closer inspection It was your coworker who, despite sitting on the floor, seemed to be mostly unharmed, you hurried over to them and they jumped at your approaching footsteps "y/n??" They shouted "what are you doi- did you find Sun?!" They asked quickly sitting up a bit but still remaining mostly reclined on the pile of rubble "no, th-they got out of the daycare I think, please help me" you responded, grabbing their arm and attempting to pull them up only for them to shift their weight back down "I would but...his battery is drained...I can't leave him" they answered and it was then that you realized they weren't leaning on rubble at all but rather a massive partially charred hand, your gaze trailed over to the giant barely conscious arachnid which it belonged to, then back to your coworker "you're just going to sit there until the fire gets you?!" You asked
"What else am I supposed to do, I sure as shit can't carry him out" they replied "i-i don't know..." You replied, not having considered that for yourself, what would you do if Sun and Moon were too damaged to walk out themselves, the thought frightened you, you wouldn't be able to just take their chips out since you hadn't brought any tools...maybe you'd be able to yank their head off of that scrawny pole of a neck, it was a gruesome thought but might be necessary, your thoughts floated back to the present and your eyes landed on music man before something finally clicked in your mind "chips!" You shouted with no elaboration, quickly yanking off your jacket and using it to protect your hands as you grabbed a metal folding chair from the floor and dashed up to music man "what are you doing?!" Your coworker asked with concern "helping!" You replied looking into one of the giant animatronic's beady black eyes "uh...sorry about this" you muttered, unsure if he could even hear or understand you before you abruptly jammed the chair into his jaw to force his teeth open and climbed into his mouth "y/n what the fuck?!" Your coworker shouted, you ignored them, looking up now with a clear view of the inside of the massive animatronic's head, you had to strain your shoulder as you twisted your arm up through the mechanisms which controlled his mouth and reached his processor, fumbling for a moment before finally pulling your now-sore arm back and not getting an opportunity to even look at what was in your hand before you were yanked out of the animatronic's mouth by your ankles "what did you do?! He-" they were immediately silenced as you stuck your arm out to present a large ai chip and memory card "oh-" they carefully took the parts from you "why...why didn't I think of that...thanks" they muttered, tucking the memory card and chip into their pocket as you huffed and pulled yourself up off of the floor, shaking your arm out "now will you help me please, they could be anywhere" you asked, your coworker nodded quickly "right, yeah, I'll take the second fl-" they were cut off by a sudden loud rumble and a sickening groan from seemingly every direction "we need to leave now" they stated "wh- b-but I helped you- y-you have to help me, we have to find them" you half-shouted, panic beginning to set back in, your wrist was grabbed and you were rather violently yanked towards the main entrance "the building is going down, you can't help them if you're dead" you hesitantly allowed them to lead you outside and watched with horror as, with a deafening crash, part of the building caved in and your coworker had to restrain you from charging back towards the burning wreckage "I can't help them if their dead either" you finally argued "y/n would you think for two seconds They're made of metal, you're made of meat, they're a lot more likely to survive this than you are"
You slowly stopped fighting as your thoughts were interrupted by the sound of approaching sirens and you only then processed the stinging in your lungs and the dryness of your mouth and eyes "look, y/n, the fire department is on their way and they're probably going to ask us to leave" your coworker spoke carefully "but if you meet me here tomorrow I'll help you look, we WILL find them...I uh... promise?" You couldn't form a response, nodding after a moment "you okay to drive?" They asked, practically dragging you to your car as you continued to stare blankly at the pizzaplex, offering another nod as response, that however, was a lie and it was a miracle that both you and your car managed to get home in one piece as you could barely focus on the road, you sat for a while in your parking spot and heavily considered turning back and speeding to the Plex but eventually reasoned that the place would be swamped with police and firetrucks by now so you weren't likely to get back in anyway and so you dragged yourself to your room, looking at the discarded fazwatch on your bed which had resumed its blinking, announcing another notification...many many notifications actually, a majority of which had been automatically dismissed as the bots they pertained to were undoubtedly destroyed, you scrolled through the sea of undismissed notifications, reading the ones labeled with DA
"core temperature critical"
"surface level damage"
"contact sensors compromised"
"secondary voice box compromised"
"shell compromised/components exposed"
All of these messages were prefaced with "urgent maintenance needed" and there were at least a dozen more but you stopped reading them, oddly enough, despite the gruesome scene they painted, they gave you a bit of hope as they hadn't been automatically dismissed which would suggest that Sun and Moon were still alive as far as the system was concerned and so you choose to leave the notifications be in order to keep an eye on them
And keep an eye on them you did, not sleeping at all for the rest of the night and simply checking the fazwatch every hour or so to look for any changes of which there was one, "core temperature critical" dismissed itself after a few hours but other than that the notifications remained unchanged.

The next morning you met your coworker at the Plex (what was left of it anyway) as you'd been instructed the night before and they helped you to look as they'd promised though despite searching all day the two of you came up empty-handed but the Plex was massive so you agreed to come back again the next day, and then the next, and the next, this would go on for nearly a week as your hope dwindled and your body fought against the growing fatigue which came with not sleeping, your mind insisted that you couldn't sleep, not until you found them but your body could only go so long before the exhaustion would catch up to you and you'd find yourself waking up on your couch still in your day clothes with your fazwatch clutched in your hand, you were fuzzy-minded with the past few days feeling like a bad dream.
a horrible noise nearby helped to somewhat clear the fog in your brain, it was some sort of awful metallic scraping or grinding noise from directly in front of you and it caused you to force your tired eyes open in search of its source.
you received a massive dose of adrenaline and froze in place at the sight in front of you, your eyes going wide and your heart hammering in your chest as you tried to form an appropriate reaction to the massive skeletal figure which loomed over you, a being far from anything human appearing only as a silhouette in the darkened room, entirely too tall with long gangly limbs and pinprick glowing eyes which stared down at you.
You didn't have time to respond before you were quite suddenly grabbed, massive clawed hands wrapping tightly around your torso and forcefully pulling you forward.